Chances of Getting into PhD Program in Comp. Physics: 3.5 GPA, Top 20 LAC

• Thread starter Invyz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academics
In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of getting accepted into a PhD program in computational physics based on a GPA of 3.5, research experiences, and programming skills. The person also asks if their ethnicity may have an impact on their acceptance. They are directed to a website that has applicant profiles for acceptances and rejections to specific schools over the past 5 years, where they can search for profiles similar to theirs to get an idea of their chances.
Invyz
PF Resident Academics...

I'd like to gauge my chances, seeing as there doesn't seem to be a large amount of statistics concerning phD acceptance.
I was wondering if you guys(or anyone extensively knowledgeable on the subject) could give me some insight on the quality of students accepted into phD programs. If I graduated with a GPA of 3.5, with the physics GPA being around 3.4-3.6 from a top 20 LAC with 2-3 research experiences along with extensive programming skills(including a computer science minor). Would I have a good chance to get into a phD program in computational physics? I realize the GRE is not included, but I can't necessarily estimate my possible score. Also I'm not sure if this helps but I'm of Filipino ethnicity. Any information is appreciated. xD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

This website has the applicant profiles for acceptances and rejections to specific schools for the past 5 years.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Have look at profiles similar to yours and see where people were able to get in.

Stengah said:
This website has the applicant profiles for acceptances and rejections to specific schools for the past 5 years.

http://www.physicsgre.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Have look at profiles similar to yours and see where people were able to get in.
Thanks!

Okay that site there seems to be many questions with little answers even searching through the forums, and the 2012 Physics Graduate School acceptance/rejection thread here on PF is only one page...

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have a strong academic background with a GPA of 3.5 and a strong emphasis on physics and programming skills. In addition, your research experiences will also be beneficial as it shows your interest and experience in the field. However, admission into a PhD program in computational physics is highly competitive and there are many other factors that are taken into consideration such as GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and research interests. Your ethnicity may also play a role in the admissions process, as universities strive for diversity in their student body. Ultimately, there is no way to accurately predict your chances of getting into a specific program, but it is important to highlight your strengths and continue to work hard in all aspects of your application. Best of luck in your academic pursuits!

1. What is a competitive GPA for getting into a PhD program in Computational Physics?

A GPA of 3.5 is considered competitive for admission into a PhD program in Computational Physics. However, admissions committees also take into consideration other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Does attending a top 20 liberal arts college increase my chances of getting into a PhD program in Computational Physics?

Attending a top 20 liberal arts college may increase your chances of getting into a PhD program in Computational Physics as these schools often have strong science programs and are well-known for their rigorous academic curriculum. However, it is not the sole determining factor and your individual academic achievements and research experience will also be taken into consideration.

3. Are there any specific courses or majors that I should take to improve my chances of getting into a PhD program in Computational Physics?

While there is no specific major or courses that guarantee admission into a PhD program in Computational Physics, having a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science can be beneficial. Additionally, taking courses in areas such as numerical methods, computational physics, and programming languages like Python and MATLAB can also be advantageous.

4. What can I do to make my application stand out to admissions committees?

In addition to maintaining a competitive GPA and taking relevant courses, having research experience in the field of computational physics can greatly enhance your application. This can include working on independent projects, participating in internships, or conducting research with a faculty member. Strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and any publications or conference presentations can also make your application stand out.

5. Are there any specific GRE requirements for admission into a PhD program in Computational Physics?

The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not always a requirement for admission into a PhD program in Computational Physics. However, some programs may require or recommend taking the Physics GRE subject test. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in applying to.