Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF Server Move

1. Aug 12, 2018 #1
    Executive Summary:
    PF is moving to a new host with better hardware and prices. The move will happen sometime this week. Expect a few hours downtime.

More Detail:
    Our current host has told me the datacenter that holds PF's server is closing within the next couple months. Instead of moving to a new datacenter with the same host we're going to move to a new host with better hardware and better pricing. A win-win! Because the busy school season is right around the corner we've decided to expedite this process to this coming week and as soon as Tuesday. The process hasn't been fully mapped yet, but the switch could happen either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. I'll of course update this thread once that is figured out. We're going to hop on a zippy professional DNS server so the downtime should be only a few hours compared to the usual 24hrs wait on propagation. So expect this week that you may receive an error when visiting PF, but don't panic. Try again in a few hours.

Disclaimer:
    I've always been correct about downtimes in the past. It's never been more than I've said. :nb):biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2018 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Oh and you have a distant Irish relative named Murphy...

4. Aug 12, 2018 #3

Evo

AAAAARGH :eek:

5. Aug 12, 2018 #4

phinds

Gold Member

Is this one of those "alternate facts" I've been hearing about ?

6. Aug 12, 2018 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was having a beer with Murphy the other day.....Fine fellow

7. Aug 12, 2018 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

Does this new confidence in your predictions mean our new home will be in Vegas? :cool:

8. Aug 12, 2018 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Murphy is an incurable optimist.

Good Luck !

9. Aug 12, 2018 #8

Klystron

Gold Member

Out of curiosity, which datacenter?

Murphy's banned from datacenters after that last all-nighter. They now fall under Finagle's Constant:
    " The perversity of the Universe tends toward a maximum." (Larry Niven). :cool:

10. Aug 12, 2018 #9
    Then there's Muphry to take care of the misspells.

11. Aug 12, 2018 #10
    For several days when I tried opening the site, it wouldn't load properly. Also my posts were duplicating due to low response time.

Was this the cause? The server was down?

12. Aug 12, 2018 #11
    Unlikely friend e-pie, as Greg said the change would happen “as soon as Tuesday.” The data center that the host of this site uses is shutting down in a couple of months, he said, so I’d bet your problem is coming from your end/your ISP.

Data centers are fun, by the way. They’re like giant, cold rooms that look like the inside of a computer. ;)

13. Aug 12, 2018 #12

jedishrfu

No the duplicate post issue had hit us some time ago and recently reappeared for many of us once again so it has to be more central to PF as a whole.

14. Aug 12, 2018 #13

jedishrfu

No mention of Murphy should forget to include this song from the Flogging Mollies

15. Aug 13, 2018 #14
    Huh. I never noticed.

16. Aug 13, 2018 #15

Klystron

Gold Member

Yep, data centers are more fun than a basket of kittens; noisier too. Have to wear heavy clothing like the folks who stock the freezer section of the local supermarket. I once helped build a data center in a refurbished supermarket building that had since hosted a fitness club. Air conditioning was fine. We put the automatic transfer switch (municipal power to UPS to generators) and fire suppression system in what was originally the butcher shop then spa. Talk about progress...

Without additional information, duplicate posts sounds like a software -- specifically a queuing -- problem. Traceroute or similar hacks should tell which side's responsible for slow response times, nyet?

Greg, changing data center contracts could be a good opportunity to request duplicate physically remote data sites. Used to call them 'ghost sites' but I've been out of the biz a few years. Duplicate severs and DB mirrors seem expensive at first blush, though only the primary requires real-time backups, until you overlay the best connected locations with maps of natural hazards such as 'quakes, floods, fires; not to mention the laughable physical security at many commercial hosts.

--Norm

17. Aug 13, 2018 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Duplicate posts ? Only duplicate? I used to get five or six at a time...

18. Aug 13, 2018 #17
    hmmph, burp, what? someone mention beer?

19. Aug 13, 2018 #18
    New server has been ordered. Plan on tomorrow into Wednesday CST -6GMT. You should only experience 2-3 hours downtime.

20. Aug 13, 2018 #19

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe @ will autocomplete !

21. Aug 13, 2018 #20

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Dreamer! Even when I click a selection on the list it only works sometimes. Often, but not always, even when that fails everything is cool in the Preview.

As you say @jim hardy, "Never trust a computer with anything important." (It worked this time! But I'm on the server that does not show the menu banner until I scroll once. Maybe a case of "You pays yo' money and takes yo' choice.")

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted