Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PF smileys

1. Lots more

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. a few that I suggested

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. one or two

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. maybe not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm fine with it

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Apr 29, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I was wondering if anyone else thought PF needed more smileys. I really don't think there's enough emotions up there, all we have are:

:rofl: :smile: :mad: :approve: :bugeye: :tongue2: :cry: :uhh: :biggrin: :confused: :grumpy: :rolleyes: :redface: :!!) :wink: :yuck: :frown: o:) :surprised :cool: :eek: :devil: :blushing: :zzz: :shy: :tongue:

I just don't think there are enough!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:!!) and o:) are new. Greg tried changing the smilies once and there was nearly a mutiny! Don't mess with the smilies. :grumpy: I kind of like the ones we have here, they are simple and not overly distracting when used...and rather cute I think...much better than the hideous, bloated looking ones in certain IM software that will go unnamed. :rolleyes:

4. Apr 29, 2005 #3

JamesU

Gold Member

I just think they should add some more, not change the ones we have.

5. Apr 29, 2005 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Add some more" isn't nearly specific enough a request. Are there some specific emoticons that you feel are missing?

- Warren

6. Apr 29, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, in that case, if you think of some we should have, feel free to suggest them. We may or may not get them, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I got the angel by asking for it. :approve: But it only feigns innocence in my hands. :biggrin:

Don't forget, you can get a fuller range of emotions by combining smilies. My favorite is this creepy combination:
    :yuck::tongue2:

:rofl:

7. Apr 29, 2005 #6
    Throw out some ideas. What kind of smilies would you like to see?

8. Apr 29, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Absolutely, I agree. I've had to combine a few to try to get the right impression, but it doesn't usually work. Cronxeh and Moonbear don't seem to have any trouble coming up with new ones. I know that there are tons of them available on-line (in fact, the ads for free ones keep popping up when I hit certain sites). I've never dared down-load them, though, because I've been warned that a lot of them hide spy-ware or viruses. There aren't many Mac viruses, and I have no secrets in my computer, but I don't know enough about it to take a chance. If someone can direct me to a safe download, I'd appreciate it. :smile: I'd even much prefer if someone can tell me how to make my own. I don't know any programming except for PL1 and Ataribasic, but I do have Illustrator 6, Photoshop 6, Quark Express 4.1, and some little kid's animation studio that came in a MacAddict magazine. I prefer working in Illustrator and then touching up in Photoshop if necessary. (Airbrushing and smudge work a bit better than gradient blends. I haven't done that in any of the 5th Dementia panels, though.)

9. Apr 29, 2005 #8

JamesU

Gold Member

I dunno... We should have moore sarchasm. have a smiley hold up a sign that says something, like "help!" (I've seen this in other forums.) And try to take some and animate them, it gives a bigger effect.
    I actually think that the "rolleyes" smiley should be changed, just because it doesn't really look like it's rolling its eyes.

10. Apr 29, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

The only one that I can think of that I need on a continual basis, due to the presence of Artman, is some sort of proper response to a truly rotten pun. A mix of disgust, amusement and grudging admiration.
    Other than that, a wider variety would just help to cover one-time requirements.
    Oh yeah, sarcasm for sure. A wink or grin doesn't always do it.

11. Apr 29, 2005 #10

JamesU

Gold Member

If you check other forums out, they got some pretty cool ones, most of them animated, like zombies!

12. Apr 29, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of those sites where you need to download software aren't compatible with Macs anyway. I just find the ones where they still let you use the smilies right off their servers, but not too many allow that. This is really the only little corner of the internet where I have a real need for smilies. :smile:

13. Apr 29, 2005 #12

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we should nuke the :rolleyes: smiley, since it's so rarely used in a constructive way.

14. Apr 29, 2005 #13

JamesU

Gold Member

this---> :uhh: is a more effective rolleyes smiley

15. Apr 29, 2005 #14

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, it looks much less condescending.

16. Apr 29, 2005 #15

JamesU

Gold Member

I actually started a popular thread. This is a first! :rofl:

17. Apr 29, 2005 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you'll be able to kill it, too. Aim high!

18. Apr 29, 2005 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I've been using that one for sarcasm, but I'm not quite satisfied with it. It's pretty effective, though. Some of them are good, but misnamed. I use :uhh:, for instance, as paranoia or secrecy.
    I do have one serious beef regarding not only the smilies, but the formatting commands. Why do they always appear at the bottom of the text window? It gets into an awful lot of cutting and pasting during multiple-quote responses.

19. Apr 29, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's one I like: [​IMG]

And one that I wouldn't recommend adding, but that reflects the way I feel on ocassion. [​IMG]

Here's one for MIH and Gokul:
    [​IMG]

And one more for Ivan:
    [​IMG]

20. Apr 29, 2005 #19

JamesU

Gold Member

If I kill anymore threads, tribdog will put me on his "thread killer champions" list. Even though that discussion's topic has completely changed :rofl: :tongue2:

21. Apr 30, 2005 #20

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On another forum I frequent, the first frame of that smiley is available on its own. It's extremely effective at conveying 'huh?'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?