What is the upcoming CDN service for faster load times on PF?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the administrators of Physics Forums have decided to off load static files to a CDN in order to improve loading times for users. This change may result in some hiccups and errors during the transition, but it is necessary to ensure the best user experience. The chosen CDN is MaxCDN, and this change has also affected the MathJax CDN, which has been switched to its backup address due to a recent attack on the usual CDN host. Users may need to adjust their settings to allow for cross-site access from netdna-cdn.com in order to continue using Physics Forums smoothly. Overall, this switch to a CDN is expected to provide faster loading times for users.
Load times are important these days and we want to give you your PF fix as fast as possible. Sometime within the next few days we'll be off loading any static files to a CDN. When active, the CDN will send you these static files instead of the PF server. There are 25 blazing fast servers on the CDN scattered across the globe. Odds are one of those is closer to you and is a lot faster than the PF server. Result is faster loading times.

I bring this up because over the next few days as we configure and connect to the CDN there could be some hiccups. There may be some loading errors, slow loading or missing files. I'm not sure. Just letting you know, so if something happens, you don't panic. This needs to be done to ensure your best experience here at PF! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Greg! That sounds like a great way to speed things up.

Before asking any questions, I thought I should at least learn what a CDN was. I hope Wikipedia's Content delivery network page helps.

What are "static files"?

Drakkith said:
What are "static files"?

In our case, anything not served by the database.

Which CDN service will be used? On some of my computers I tightly control cross site operations, so I will need to enable this correctly for PF to continue working.

PAllen said:
Which CDN service will be used? On some of my computers I tightly control cross site operations, so I will need to enable this correctly for PF to continue working.

MaxCDN. We're about 50% done. If things look normal now you should be ok.

I used to sell this type of service back in the 90's. It allowed website owners willing to pay for the service to offer their customers faster site loading.

Thanks Greg!

What I had to enable for cross site access from physicsforums was:

netdna-cdn.com

Now it works fine.

Should be 100% now. Please let me know if you find any broken images or other problems.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Should be 100% now.

OMG. The static content from the CDN is faster and the switch has solved my old "Waiting for i56.tinypic.com" problem as well; which turned out to be the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) being too big for tinypic. But the most important result I've seen is how screaming fast I'm getting my PF fix. Thanks Greg. :!)

Now, how can we help you pay for this? :confused:

And people are against website owners providing better service for their endusers (net neutrality).

It says "Waiting for tag. contextweb.com" forever again, without "refresh".

ehild

dlgoff said:
But the most important result I've seen is how screaming fast I'm getting my PF fix. Thanks Greg. :!)

Now, how can we help you pay for this? :confused:

Good to hear! You've already done your share being a gold member :)

ehild said:
It says "Waiting for tag. contextweb.com" forever again, without "refresh".

Yeah unfortunately that is the ad network again. The new CDN has no affect on that.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks ok to me.

Same here.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks ok to me. This is an unrelated issue either way.

Okay thanks. It's some how related to firefox rendering I guess. Hope I can figure it out.

Greg,

What is the difference between rackcdn.com and netdna-cdn.com, and their respective purposes?

I found recently that latex suddenly stopped working, then realized this was because I hadn't allowed scripts from rackcdn.com. Previously I had to allow mathjax, but that doesn't appear on the script list anymore. I guess you access it some other way now?

strangerep said:
Greg,

What is the difference between rackcdn.com and netdna-cdn.com, and their respective purposes?

rackcdn is only for MathJax, which I have no control over. netdna-cdn is what PF uses now to serve most of it's static files.

We had to change the MathJax CDN to it's backup address because the usual CDN was hosted on GoDaddy which was attacked by hackers yesterday. I'll likely switch it back later this week.

Greg Bernhardt said:
MaxCDN. We're about 50% done. If things look normal now you should be ok.
Ah that explains why I suddenly encountered problems with adding fonts/smileys! Anyway, thanks for the improvement. :smile:

1. What is a CDN service and why is PF planning to use it?

A CDN (Content Delivery Network) is a network of servers located in different geographic locations that work together to deliver content to users more efficiently. PF is planning to use a CDN service to improve the speed and reliability of their website by reducing the distance between the server and the user, resulting in faster loading times and a better user experience.

2. How will using a CDN affect the performance of PF's website?

By using a CDN, PF's website will see improved performance in terms of faster page load times, reduced server load, and increased availability. This is because the CDN will distribute the website's content among multiple servers, reducing the burden on a single server and allowing for faster delivery of content to users.

3. Will using a CDN service be expensive for PF?

The cost of using a CDN service varies depending on the provider and the amount of traffic and data transfer. However, in the long run, using a CDN service can actually save PF money by reducing server costs and increasing website efficiency. Additionally, many CDN providers offer flexible pricing plans that can be tailored to fit PF's budget and needs.

4. Will using a CDN service affect the security of PF's website?

Using a CDN service should not affect the security of PF's website. In fact, some CDN providers offer additional security features such as DDoS protection and SSL encryption. However, it is important for PF to choose a reputable and secure CDN provider to ensure the safety of their website and user data.

5. Are there any downsides to using a CDN service?

While using a CDN service can greatly benefit PF's website, there are a few potential downsides to consider. These include possible compatibility issues with certain website features, increased costs for high traffic websites, and the reliance on a third-party service provider. However, these downsides can be mitigated by choosing a reliable CDN provider and properly configuring the service for PF's website.