PF Update to vB3.5 coming soon

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the site may be down for up to 4-5 hours, and there is a possibility that journal entries might not be carried over to the next version.
We are planning to upgrade the forum sometime next week. The site may be down for up to 4-5 hours. I'll try my best to upgrade during the night hours US. Warren is working hard on converting some of the custom hacks, so make sure you thank him. One unfortunate consequence of the update is the incompatibility of some of our 3rd party hacks. There are new versions of the quiz, journal and link db hacks, however no update scripts. So what this means is we start from scatch on those. Please save all your journal entries to your computer and then re-enter them in the new system. I know it's a pain and if there were an easy solution I'd take it, but there simply isn't. The new hack versions seem to be of higher quality and this shouldn't happen again.

On a more positive note I'd also like to take this time to announce the development of a new custom skin. We're planning on a skin that will make PF more distinct with the same readability, accessibility and usability of the current skin. It should also be noted that the skin will be flexible in that each category will give off a unique feel depending on that category. For example, the biology and comsology forums will have the same basic skin elements, but some things will be different that will give you a unique feel appropriate to that topic. The skin will hopefully be ready within two months.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there an easy way to save journal entries, or do we just have to copy and paste each one? That's not too big of a deal for me as I don't have a huge number of entries, but some other folks have been very prolific and if there's an easier way for them to save the contents, I'm sure they'd like to know about it.

I'm looking forward to PF's new Fall look. :biggrin: But, I have to go without for 4-5 hours during the night (when I'm usually on)? Whatever will I do with myself?! :bugeye: Will you be able to give us a day's advanced warning when you know what night you're doing that so us addicts don't spend all night hitting refresh? :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Is there an easy way to save journal entries, or do we just have to copy and paste each one? That's not too big of a deal for me as I don't have a huge number of entries, but some other folks have been very prolific and if there's an easier way for them to save the contents, I'm sure they'd like to know about it.

I'm looking forward to PF's new Fall look. :biggrin: But, I have to go without for 4-5 hours during the night (when I'm usually on)? Whatever will I do with myself?! :bugeye: Will you be able to give us a day's advanced warning when you know what night you're doing that so us addicts don't spend all night hitting refresh? :rofl:

I'm thinking of making an export feature for the journals, just be prepared that you might have to copy and paste. Yeah I'll let you know the day before I upgrade and we're talking like 11pm CT.

Awesome! I am hoping for consistent button/icon colors :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm thinking of making an export feature for the journals, just be prepared that you might have to copy and paste. Yeah I'll let you know the day before I upgrade and we're talking like 11pm CT.
Thanks. An export feature would be wonderful if you can do it (as long as you'll have a compatible import feature in the new version :wink:). Ah, 11 PM CT, I think I could handle that. I'll go to sleep one night and wake up in the morning to brand spanking new PF! :biggrin:

cool :smile: a new PF

I entered the Stupid Quetion thread recently and thought I had slipped into a perpendicular universe again: everything looked completely different. Were you practising? Later it all returned to normal.

Glad to hear this, Greg and Warren! I'm excited! :)

I just noticed the following in ZapperZ's journal:

ZapperZ said:
In case you haven't read the latest news, PF will be going a major upgrade, and there's a strong possiblity that the journals would not be carried over to the next version. So all the entries might be lost.

I'm not sure how "valuable" all of the stuff I've written on here, but I do know that I didn't save any of them. Unfortunately, there are just too many to save as it is now, and I don't have the patience or time to want to do that. If you had saved any or most of my journal entries, and don't mind sending me copies of what you have, I would highly appreciate that.
Would someone please make sure to backup Zz's journal? There is a lot of good information there and I would rather not see it lost.

jma2001 said:
I just noticed the following in ZapperZ's journal:

Would someone please make sure to backup Zz's journal? There is a lot of good information there and I would rather not see it lost.
I've already done it, Zz has a copy now and I have copies backed up two different places. :approve:

:uhh: my journal's important

Moonbear said:
[...] Maybe the upgrade will be a good time to introduce new smilies. :biggrin:

I agree. It would be a good time to fix the surprised smilie too : :smile:, :grumpy:

so what day will we be expecting it?

yomamma said:
so what day will we be expecting it?

Not exactly sure yet. Either Thursday or I'll wait for the weekend.

I can't wait...!

yomamma said:
I can't wait...!

You actually won 't see much difference I'm afraid, it's mostly a backend change rather than frontend.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You actually won 't see much difference I'm afraid, it's mostly a backend change rather than frontend.
But apparently, yomamma can't tell his backend from his frontend.

For some reason I've never been able to make entries in my journal, so maybe this will fix that (not that I have much to say anyway).

Les Sleeth said:
(not that I have much to say anyway).

I'll note for the record that you are saying this in your 1920th post. :rofl: :rofl:

What happens to subscribed threads? I'd received notification mails constantly for threads I had subscribed to them in another site, but after upgradinding, it didn't send me any notification mail although those threads had new replies!

Lisa! said:
What happens to subscribed threads? I'd received notification mails constantly for threads I had subscribed to them in another site, but after upgradinding, it didn't send me any notification mail although those threads had new replies!

Well I can't speak for the other site, but it's possible in order hasten the upgrade the admin dumped the subscribed threads table, though unlikely. Our upgrade should not result in any loss of subscribed threads.

Well, you guys seem to be on the ball. And I suppose I'm really not a hacker cus' I don't know what all those "hacks" Greg was talking about up there. Is it "custom software"? Oh yea, done a lot of that. Really though I been itchin' for an upgrade to PF but I'm into software and the symptom is expected. My biggest and maybe I should post this over there in that other one, request is to improve response time. You know, lightning fast would be nice so what's the best we can do to improve response time or is this a concern for anyone?

Looks like tomorrow night is the night. I just want to make sure every gets a chance to export their journal: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91957

Also something to mention is in an effort to minimize the downtime I will be installing the LaTeX plugin after upgrading and then turning the forums back on. Of course there are a million things to do afterwards but I want to make sure we have as little downtime as possible. So I'll be adding and adjusting things on the live forum, which means members that visit within a few hours after upgrading might see changes suddenly occur.

honestrosewater said:
But apparently, yomamma can't tell his backend from his frontend.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can't believe I missed this. Best post ever.

Update is complete. Minor changes might occur as things settle. It would be a good idea to clear your browser caches so there aren't any conflictions with any new files.

Congratulations!:smile:

One admin note: LaTeX is fully functional, except for previewing posts. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm going to tackle that tomorrow. Let me know if anything else is broken.

- Warren

Well, I'm impressed. An upgrade? Either you're really good or it wasn't a major upgrade. I think it's the former though. And users get so touchy when their favorite "pet" function no longer works or is messed up after an upgrade. Give me a break. They don't have a clue how complex it is. Do they know how many of those frickin' little rectangles it takes to make a program!

Good for you guys. I would have been disappointed if after the upgrade, major problems presisted from more than some time or another.

Well, now I do have a question:

What is that message at the bottom of my signature column below the green light?

Warn: 0 (some boxes)?

I think nothing is lost but I can't see that beautiful red color when I receive a new PM. I don't want to have a new PM after that. :cry:

saltydog said:
Well, now I do have a question:

What is that message at the bottom of my signature column below the green light?

Warn: 0 (some boxes)?
That means you've not warned by Mentors yet!:wink:

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
That means you've not warned by Mentors yet!

Hello Lisa . . . oh wait, I forgot the exclamation point. Here's a pretty one for you in LaTex:

[tex]\text{!}[/tex]

Tried those collard greens yet? But I digress.

That's not helpful. What does a warning mean and why is it "public". Seems to me if the Mentors don't like someone's performance they should take it up personally at least first. That is the appropriate thing to do. Why is it on my signature in particular?

I think only you and the staff can see your warnings. I can see mine but can't see yours.

Last edited:
honestrosewater said:
I think only you can see it. I can see mine but can't see yours.

Eh, did that make sense? X's warning is only viewable by X. I just like using this new edit thng.

Well I tell you what Honestrosewater, or HRW I think they call you, that's why an "Update Features" document would be helpful. I could have read it and known what you tell me now.

Why is this even necessary? How many warnings you get? Why do you get a warning? Am I about to get a warning? I mean, sometimes . . . well . . . I say . . . what do you call um' . . . "unique" things in here? Are any of those inappropriate? I'd expect Hurkyl or SelfAdjoint at least to tell me if so.

saltydog said:
Well I tell you what Honestrosewater, or HRW I think they call you,
Yeah, that's what they call me to my face. Why - what else have you heard?
Why is this even necessary? How many warnings you get? Why do you get a warning? Am I about to get a warning? I mean, sometimes . . . well . . . I say . . . what do you call um' . . . "unique" things in here? Are any of those inappropriate? I'd expect Hurkyl or SelfAdjoint at least to tell me if so.
:smile: I like the unique things you say. But they do sound like they mean business:
Disciplinary Action:
If a member violates forum guidelines, he or she may be issued a warning by an administrator or mentor. Warnings range from 2 to 7 "points," depending on the severity of the violation. If a member accrues 15 or more warning points, he or she will be banned from Physics Forums for a period of 21 days. If a member receives any warning after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.
- [thread]5374[/thread]

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5?</h2><p>The purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5 is to improve the functionality and user experience of the platform. This update will bring new features, bug fixes, and security enhancements to ensure a smooth and secure experience for users.</p><h2>2. When will the PF Update to vB3.5 be released?</h2><p>The exact release date for the PF Update to vB3.5 has not been announced yet. However, the developers are working diligently to ensure a timely release and will provide updates as they become available.</p><h2>3. What are some of the new features in the PF Update to vB3.5?</h2><p>The PF Update to vB3.5 will include new features such as improved search functionality, a revamped user interface, and enhanced customization options. It will also introduce new tools for moderators to manage the platform more efficiently.</p><h2>4. Will there be any changes to the current user accounts and data?</h2><p>No, the PF Update to vB3.5 will not affect any existing user accounts or data. All user information, posts, and settings will remain intact after the update. However, users may need to re-enter their login credentials after the update is complete.</p><h2>5. How can I prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5?</h2><p>To prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5, it is recommended to regularly back up your forum's database and files. This will ensure that in case of any unforeseen issues during the update, you can easily restore your forum to its previous state. You can also stay updated on the release date and new features by following the official PF website and social media channels.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5?

The purpose of the PF Update to vB3.5 is to improve the functionality and user experience of the platform. This update will bring new features, bug fixes, and security enhancements to ensure a smooth and secure experience for users.

2. When will the PF Update to vB3.5 be released?

The exact release date for the PF Update to vB3.5 has not been announced yet. However, the developers are working diligently to ensure a timely release and will provide updates as they become available.

3. What are some of the new features in the PF Update to vB3.5?

The PF Update to vB3.5 will include new features such as improved search functionality, a revamped user interface, and enhanced customization options. It will also introduce new tools for moderators to manage the platform more efficiently.

4. Will there be any changes to the current user accounts and data?

No, the PF Update to vB3.5 will not affect any existing user accounts or data. All user information, posts, and settings will remain intact after the update. However, users may need to re-enter their login credentials after the update is complete.

5. How can I prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5?

To prepare for the PF Update to vB3.5, it is recommended to regularly back up your forum's database and files. This will ensure that in case of any unforeseen issues during the update, you can easily restore your forum to its previous state. You can also stay updated on the release date and new features by following the official PF website and social media channels.