Are PF Users Enthusiastic Gamers?

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
In summary, the expert believes that video games are a major time sink for those with scientific or technical backgrounds, but that they are not as good as "shooting down" multiple aircraft at combat velocities.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone. I'm curious if any of you here on PF are active or avid gamers (aka enthusiastic players of video games).

I'm asking because I personally have ever only been an occasional video game player (and haven't played any sophisticated video game for quite some time), as I've always thought of video games as a major time sink, directing my energies away from more "productive" uses. But many of my friends or acquaintances with scientific or technical backgrounds are often avid gamers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I must answer in the negative now but I once participated in the wildest largest "video game" in the free world.

A group of active-duty war veterans were tasked with emulating enemy activities, training new electronic warfare technicians and training real flight crews to fly and fight in environments expected during modern war. As my radar vans included bore-sighted visual optics -- fancy prisms, mirrors and lenses directed visible light to operators -- we were among the first crews to record video of electronic warfare operations. When you see black and white video of older fighter planes surrounded by weird azimuth rings that appear to lag the target in popular movies and documentaries; you are likely viewing declassified video mission archives from our radars.

I tried early versions of Worlds of Warcraft, first-person shooter games, most of the video genre, even advanced 3-D video/sound; but packaged games cannot compete with "shooting down" multiple aircraft at combat velocities. After spending months at the forward edge of the battle area (FEBA) plotting strategy and tactics to defeat seasoned aircrews, lessor games cannot hold a candle. Physics is fun.

Gamer, gaming journalist, game maker in the past.

Likes DennisN
I play lots of video games on the PC. Lots. Well, that is, I spend a lot of time playing video games, but quite often I'm replaying old games that I've played before rather than playing new games.

I try to play through the Half-Life series and Portal series at least once a year (Black Mesa, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, Portal 2).

I've replayed The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim several times. I'm looking forward to replaying The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in the form of Skyblivion, when it is available.

Kerbal Space Program has influence my life a lot. I find myself still firing that up to this day. Kerbal Space Program 2 should be here next spring! :biggrin:

I play through Doom 2016 about once a month. Sometimes (maybe once every few years) give the original Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 a sequential playthough. Of course, Doom Eternal is arriving in a few months. I'll be playing that.

Right now I'm playing PC Building Simulator. I sometimes play those types of games for a change of pace.

NO

My more complete answer is a little different. I did enjoy several years ago Bejeweled, and Oktagon, and IceBreaker.

No. Not since space invaders was cutting edge.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and Klystron
Hi, my name is Hank and I am a recovering online gaming addict.

I started my addiction around 1997 and stop playing in 2017. My drug of choice was originally first person shooters and ending with open world games. I was finally able to kick this habit after getting bored of the repetitive nature of modern games.

Just an attempt at being funny. Although I did stop a couple years ago if I found a game that I enjoyed I would pick it back up.

Likes DennisN
Occasionally play Dwarf Fortress, which is a crazy complex procedurally generated fantasy sim

• Love
Likes Bandersnatch
Nowadays I don't play as much as I did before.
I liked strategy games like the Total War series, particularly Medieval TW (1 & 2), Empire TW, Napoleon TW and Attila TW. And Civilization. I also liked simulation/city building games like SimCity, Railroad Tycoon, Rollercoaster Tycoon and Cities: Skylines.

Last edited:
I used to play a lot, I just don't have the time to play games, any more. Frankly, I'm not super excited about getting to play something, either. I did play through Witcher 3 Wild hunt in the summer, I played in about 3h increments in the evenings. Once I'm devoured by work or research and I get that few weeks of rest I might play something, but then again I'd rather spend that time outdoors. I must be getting old :olduhh:

Likes Klystron
I still have some time to play games now and then, though I prefer making mods these days (as long as said game has a good CDK and I don't have to do any coding, because I'm awful at that). Main subject of that recently has been Ravenfield (a singleplayer game inspired by the early Battlefield games), since it's very simple, easy to pick up, and fun to mess around with bots without worrying about balancing for multiplayer. Was also considering modding for War Thunder, Men of War: Assault Squad 2, and ArmA 3, but never got around to it.

The games I do play generally involve making stuff, recent examples being Stormworks: Build and Rescue and SimpleRockets 2 (since it let's you get more in-depth with engine design versus KSP). Probably the game I've been most involved in that isn't just tinkering in an editor was Foxhole, an MMO top-down war shooter with a heavy emphasis on coordination, communication, and logistics. Also been playing a bit of Kenshi recently, since I find it engaging, but not too engaging as to distract me when I got better things to do.

i was a gamer in the past. Now i only watch people play games on various sites.

I'm currently playing through the Pokemon series I still got Sword an Shield, Sun and Moon, to play through. I have been hitting up the Professor Layton, Series off an on along with Sokoban variants, an Eterna on Eternagame.org. Xcom 2, was definitely worth the run through. Halo an DOA series along with Destiny were some of my favorites in the past.

SimCity, Myst. Shows you how up-to date I am on gaming.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
DaveC426913 said:
Myst.
You ever make it past the "programming glitch?" I even dropped money on the "book of tricks" when I ran into it---no good.

Bystander said:
You ever make it past the "programming glitch?"
What glitch?

I finished it, yes. As well as Riven and whatever #3 was called.
I recently downloaded #4 via Steam, and have been making my way through that.

Bystander said:
What/whichever #2 was called, Myst or Riven, I could NOT get it past "the hang point" in the program---it simply would not budge;
The 2nd was Riven.

I don't recall such a bug. That may mean I had a good processor; it is just as likely that my memory has failed (something I'm saying more regularly these days. (At least I think I am)).

DaveC426913 said:
my memory has failed
No, it's just that you may have undergone the involuntary Windoze "upgrade" to "write only" like I've had.

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913
Bystander said:
No, it's just that you may have undergone the involuntary Windoze "upgrade" to "write only" like I've had.
That's so clever I may steal it.

Finished "devil may cry 5" a few weeks ago. Great game but too short.
Currently playing "sekiro:shadows die twice", amazing game!

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is a "PF user"?

A "PF user" refers to someone who uses the online gaming platform "Planet Fitness".

2. Are all PF users gamers?

No, not all PF users are gamers. The platform offers a variety of activities and services, such as fitness classes and personal training, in addition to gaming.

3. How popular is Planet Fitness among gamers?

Planet Fitness has a large and growing community of gamers. It offers a unique and interactive gaming experience, making it a popular choice among gamers.

4. Can non-gamers still benefit from using Planet Fitness?

Absolutely. Planet Fitness offers a range of fitness and wellness services that can benefit anyone, regardless of their interest in gaming.

5. Is Planet Fitness a good option for beginners in gaming?

Yes, Planet Fitness is a great option for beginners in gaming. The platform offers a user-friendly interface and a supportive community, making it a welcoming environment for new gamers.