PF video formats

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@Greg Bernhardt I forgot what video formats PF accepts. Wanting to post a .mp4 video and looking for a converter to convert to an accepted PF format

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
I can be wrong, but I don't think PF accepts videos, it accepts media links to sites like youtube (so if you upload your video to YT you will be able to post it here using embedded media player).

For format conversion and repacking I am using ffmpeg (command line and often tricky) and avidemux. Both free, neither perfect.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can be wrong, but I don't think PF accepts videos, it accepts media links to sites like youtube (so if you upload your video to YT you will be able to post it here using embedded media player).

For format conversion and repacking I am using ffmpeg (command line and often tricky) and avidemux. Both free, neither perfect.
Thanks @Borek but I don't have a YT account.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks @Borek but I don't have a YT account.
It's fast and easy to open one, at least it used to be.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Neither of these worked.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Another person offered to use their G. account to post on YT, so I emailed the video to them and it got done.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just Youtube, sign up, very easy, let me know if you need help :)
Well, I did try to sign up. But I couldn't get it to work.

Well, I did try to sign up. But I couldn't get it to work.
PM me your gmail address and I can setup a Google Meet so I can help.

Likes symbolipoint, Wrichik Basu and berkeman
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@Greg Bernhardt
I haven't been able to get a gmail address. That's the problem. They want a phone to send a text message and I don't have a smart phone.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
There are alternatives to texts.

1626737857799.png

Edit: more info at
https://www.google.com/landing/2step/#tab=how-it-works

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are alternatives to texts.

View attachment 286227
I'll look into the landline phone for a verification code. But it will have to wait until tomorrow. Thank You

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
It used to be that the whole 2-factor login security was optional. That may still be true, that you can decline 2-factor (2-step) security and use only username and password instead. But you may need to look in the fine print to find it, they prefer that everyone use 2-factor.

StevieTNZ
@Greg Bernhardt
I haven't been able to get a gmail address. That's the problem. They want a phone to send a text message and I don't have a smart phone.
You don't need a smart phone. A phone that can receive texts will suffice.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You don't need a smart phone. A phone that can receive texts will suffice.
Did you not understand? I don't have a phone to receive any text messages. OKay?

StevieTNZ
Did you not understand? I don't have a phone to receive any text messages. OKay?
Right, well say that. Not use 'smart phone'.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right, well say that. Not use 'smart phone'.
Okay, you are right. I was thinking of a conversation with @Greg Bernhardt where I had said:
One problem is that it asked where to send a text message. I don't have a phone to get a text message on.
Sorry.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It used to be that the whole 2-factor login security was optional. That may still be true, that you can decline 2-factor (2-step) security and use only username and password instead. But you may need to look in the fine print to find it, they prefer that everyone use 2-factor.
That didn't work either. I give up.

OCR
It used to be that the whole 2-factor login security was optional. That may still be true, that you can decline 2-factor (2-step) security and use only username and password instead.

It's still true. . . I just logged in, and logged back out.

1626799628706.png

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@dlgoff , did you try today to get the code verbally over your existing phone?
Yes. The link didn't work.
It still wanted to leave a text message. Nothing voice wise.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
@anorlunda

I've decided to not to even try to post any videos on PF.

• Sad
Likes anorlunda and Wrichik Basu
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
@Greg Bernhardt
A 'dumb' phone could work for verification if you have one, as long as it can accept text messages and as long as your plan includes text messaging.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You specified "smartphone".
Fast many posts on this today, but caught myself up quickly.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I am interested to know if anyone has/have tried using some online virtual phone number to use for Google account creation verification? Successfully?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A 'dumb' phone could work for verification if you have one, as long as it can accept text messages and as long as your plan includes text messaging.
I only have an analog phone on a land line. It doesn't even have any kind of display.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I only have an analog phone on a land line. It doesn't even have any kind of display.
Not was not what I meant. Has any forum member ever tried using an online free virtual phone number to verify a Google account for account creation?

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Not was not what I meant. Has any forum member ever tried using an online free virtual phone number to verify a Google account for account creation?
from post #28
I thought "A 'dumb' phone could work for verification" meant an analog phone.

bold by me

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
from post #28
I thought "A 'dumb' phone could work for verification" meant an analog phone.

bold by me
Let me clarify.

One can use a basic flip phone to receive a verification code for creating a Google account. Although a smartphone could be used, that is not necessary. Now your posts are clearer, too. You really do want to be able to receive a spoken code for verification through your home landline telephone. I do not know how well that works for Google account verification, but I am aware that kind of verification code receipt does work for some types of account (but just not sure how good they are with Google).

Borek
Mentor
To make things simpler even more confusing some telecoms offer a text message over the dial phone - the message is read to you over the line by their computer.

Suggested for: PF video formats

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies