Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pf?

1. Jul 30, 2004 #1
    Pf???

I'm curious, 'bout the history of PF. when did it start? who started it? who owns it? whose idea was it? who created it?
    Perhaps Greg or the mentors would care to answer??????? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2004 #2
    Al Gore invented Physicsforums.

4. Jul 30, 2004 #3
    I'll add another question: Why was it started?

5. Jul 30, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I just assumed it was Greg's baby.

6. Jul 30, 2004 #5
    So did I. Of course, it's probably more like an adolescent now.

7. Jul 30, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This all is Greg's brainchild, I'm sure other people own programming credit too.. like Chroot. We've had this question a few times before, so let me explain the basics :wink:

Greg was the first person to ever sign up (ofcourse) and that was on Dec 24th 2000, after just a month the first members started signing up and now we are in the third version of the website and have over 10,000 members signed up and have high traffic, which is pretty cool.

As I've understood it, the creation was for a school project. Here's the baby still in diapers :wink: http://web.archive.org/web/20010306054610/https://www.physicsforums.com/

8. Jul 30, 2004 #7
    Perhaps Greg just wanted to make sure he wasn't the only one out there who enjoyed this stuff as much as he did. :biggrin:

9. Jul 30, 2004 #8
    Haha.. :biggrin:

10. Aug 2, 2004 #9

jimmy p

Gold Member

So it's Greg's and Al Gore's e-lovechild??

11. Aug 2, 2004 #10
    I'd hate to see yours. :yuck:

12. Aug 2, 2004 #11

Janitor

Science Advisor

How did Dr. Kaku come into the picture?

13. Aug 2, 2004 #12
    I didn't realize he did.

14. Aug 2, 2004 #13

Janitor

Science Advisor

His is said to be a "hosted forum."

15. Aug 2, 2004 #14
    Oh, I see. I thought he ment in this thread Dr. Kaku had come in. I didn't realize he meant the forum.

16. Aug 3, 2004 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We'll need Greg to give the full details of PF history, but as Monique said, Greg created PF back in Dec 2000. It may have taken him 7 days (or not). Monique likes to mention the first members who signed up because she was one of them. Me too. In between college courses and hiding in the woods surrounding the Great Lakes (searching for Bigfoot, I believe), it became Greg's passion to constantly improve PF. At first, he funded the site out of his own pocket and hit up his friends and family for donations. I suspect he even sold blood to fund this. As PF grew, we switched to member donations, ads, and now the "PF contributor" system. The forums were updated a couple times since its beginning (obliterating post counts, mind you!) not only in format but in the server location/bandwidth capacity. This latest version of PF exploded into a flurry of subforums, but the main categories have always been more or less the same. Chroot was recently promoted to co-admin as he contributed a lot of programming and management to the site. It is Greg's intention not only to keep PF going, but to make it one of the premier science-based forums on the internet. To this end, Greg started hosting Dr. Kaku's forums and created the spin-off sites PhysicsPost, PhysicsChat, and that other one. Kudos.

17. Aug 3, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not only did the post count get reset in between upgrades, but so did the registered memberslist.. as Greg once jokingly put it: "It's a good test to see who the true PF members are :smile:" so we have over 10,500 registered right now, but that is just since the last upgrade.

18. Aug 3, 2004 #17
    I remember that the reason I signed up was because of Dr. Kaku's forums.

19. Aug 4, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

Dr. Kaku delievered Al Gore's and Greg's e-lovechild.

20. Aug 5, 2004 #19
    Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't find bigfoot start forums?

21. Aug 9, 2004 #20

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No wonder there are so many forums! ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?