What is the history of Physics Forums

In summary, Pf was started by Greg in Dec 2000 after he created it for a school project. It is now owned by others but still receives regular updates and has a large membership.
Hypercase
Pf?

I'm curious, 'bout the history of PF. when did it start? who started it? who owns it? whose idea was it? who created it?
Perhaps Greg or the mentors would care to answer?? :confused:

Science news on Phys.org
Al Gore invented Physicsforums.

Hypercase said:
I'm curious, 'bout the history of PF. when did it start? who started it? who owns it? whose idea was it? who created it?

I'll add another question: Why was it started?

I guess I just assumed it was Greg's baby.

Moonbear said:
I guess I just assumed it was Greg's baby.

So did I. Of course, it's probably more like an adolescent now.

Hypercase said:
This all is Greg's brainchild, I'm sure other people own programming credit too.. like Chroot. We've had this question a few times before, so let me explain the basics :wink:

Greg was the first person to ever sign up (ofcourse) and that was on Dec 24th 2000, after just a month the first members started signing up and now we are in the third version of the website and have over 10,000 members signed up and have high traffic, which is pretty cool.

As I've understood it, the creation was for a school project. Here's the baby still in diapers :wink: http://web.archive.org/web/20010306054610/https://www.physicsforums.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
As I've understood it, the creation was for a school project.

Perhaps Greg just wanted to make sure he wasn't the only one out there who enjoyed this stuff as much as he did. :biggrin:

Adam said:
Al Gore invented Physicsforums.

Haha.. :biggrin:

So it's Greg's and Al Gore's e-lovechild??

jimmy p said:
So it's Greg's and Al Gore's e-lovechild??

I'd hate to see yours. :yuck:

How did Dr. Kaku come into the picture?

Janitor said:

I didn't realize he did.

His is said to be a "hosted forum."

Oh, I see. I thought he ment in this thread Dr. Kaku had come in. I didn't realize he meant the forum.

We'll need Greg to give the full details of PF history, but as Monique said, Greg created PF back in Dec 2000. It may have taken him 7 days (or not). Monique likes to mention the first members who signed up because she was one of them. Me too. In between college courses and hiding in the woods surrounding the Great Lakes (searching for Bigfoot, I believe), it became Greg's passion to constantly improve PF. At first, he funded the site out of his own pocket and hit up his friends and family for donations. I suspect he even sold blood to fund this. As PF grew, we switched to member donations, ads, and now the "PF contributor" system. The forums were updated a couple times since its beginning (obliterating post counts, mind you!) not only in format but in the server location/bandwidth capacity. This latest version of PF exploded into a flurry of subforums, but the main categories have always been more or less the same. Chroot was recently promoted to co-admin as he contributed a lot of programming and management to the site. It is Greg's intention not only to keep PF going, but to make it one of the premier science-based forums on the internet. To this end, Greg started hosting Dr. Kaku's forums and created the spin-off sites PhysicsPost, PhysicsChat, and that other one. Kudos.

Phobos said:
The forums were updated a couple times since its beginning (obliterating post counts, mind you!) not only in format but in the server location/bandwidth capacity.
Not only did the post count get reset in between upgrades, but so did the registered memberslist.. as Greg once jokingly put it: "It's a good test to see who the true PF members are :smile:" so we have over 10,500 registered right now, but that is just since the last upgrade.

I remember that the reason I signed up was because of Dr. Kaku's forums.

Janitor said:

Dr. Kaku delievered Al Gore's and Greg's e-lovechild.

Phobos said:
In between college courses and hiding in the woods surrounding the Great Lakes (searching for Bigfoot, I believe), it became Greg's passion to constantly improve PF.
Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't find bigfoot start forums?

No wonder there are so many forums! ;)

thanks for that link monique...the webpage sure brings back memories :) i wonder how many members now were members then? i signed up in July 2001.

zoobyshoe said:
Those who can't do, teach.

Those who can't teach, teach PE.

After searching the internet high and low I found what I consider to be the best science forum on the net - PF. :approve:

The high quality of the membership and most :biggrin: discussions were a welcome treat. All of the great Mentors here are the key; IMO.

This is funny really. When I landed here I was starting a long and much needed vacation. At the time, having not had much time for anything but work for about the last two years I was chocked full of arguments of all kinds. But to test the waters I made a fairly simple first post. Within minutes - this is at 1 AM - I received a wonderful reply from somewhere in Europe I think... I was amazed! That and a few more posts started a flood of perhaps ten very long essays and debates a day for the next two or three weeks. I hardly slept at all! What a vacation! Talk about venting!

IIRC, one day I received over 200 email notifications. :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

1. What is the purpose of Physics Forums?

The purpose of Physics Forums is to provide a platform for scientists, engineers, and students to discuss and collaborate on various topics related to physics, mathematics, and other sciences. It also serves as a resource for those seeking help with homework or research problems.

2. When was Physics Forums founded?

Physics Forums was founded in 2001 by Greg Bernhardt, a physics and mathematics graduate from Case Western Reserve University. It began as a small online forum but has since grown into a popular community with over 1 million members.

3. How has Physics Forums evolved over the years?

Over the years, Physics Forums has evolved into a comprehensive website with various features, such as a news section, blogs, and a job board. It has also expanded beyond just physics and now includes forums for other sciences, mathematics, and engineering.

4. What makes Physics Forums a reliable source of information?

Physics Forums has a strict moderation policy to ensure that all discussions are based on scientific evidence and facts. The community also consists of knowledgeable and experienced members who provide valuable insights and resources.

5. Can anyone join Physics Forums?

Yes, anyone can join Physics Forums as long as they follow the community guidelines. This includes being respectful and open-minded, contributing to discussions in a meaningful way, and not using the forum for commercial purposes.