Announcement PF5 is coming!

2uz7ww.jpg

And it will be here (hopefully) before Game of Thrones season 8! (April 14th).

We are hoping to release PF5 sometime near the end of this month (March). It will be a medium level evolution in our progression. The style has been completely redone, but is very similar to the style now. There should be no real shock, other than we're switching to a top horizontal postbit in threads. Also usage and functionality is nearly the same, only there is a ton more functionality. Dozens of improvements and new features are available. To name a few: tables now native in the enhanced editor, Likes have been expanded into more reaction options, unfurling URLs, push notifications, quick thread feature...

One last to note is that we've decided to ditch the mobile app that is available via Apple and Android. It has become expensive and integration was always limited leading to inconsistencies. Luckily our mobile style is also very much improved. It's still possible to have an app icon that leads to the website on your screen for quick access and I'll describe how to do that later. The app will continue to function through March until we upgrade.

I'll post more updates as I have them. Feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
we're switching to a top horizontal postbit in threads.
Hmm. I am not sure how I feel about this. It feels old-fashioned. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also, when did the name of this forum change to "Eigenlounge?" I approve.

It feels old-fashioned.
For as long as I can remember, postbits have generally been vertical columns back to 2001. The PF mobile style right now has horizontal postbit and now the desktop version will match.

Also, when did the name of this forum change to "Eigenlounge?" I approve.
A few days ago :biggrin:

scottdave

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I participate via phone quite often, usually through my mobile browser rather than the app.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
The suspense is finally over! I believe the phrase "Big things are planned for winter 2018…" has to be changed now...

Could you post some screenshots of PF5?

For as long as I can remember, postbits have generally been vertical columns back to 2001. The PF mobile style right now has horizontal postbit and now the desktop version will match.
How about making it an option, or detecting the device type and adjusting the presentation style accordingly, as most modern browsers are wont to do with most sites these days anyway.

I think that in general mobile-optimized presentations are conspicuously sub-optimal for the (typically) larger screens of desktop systems. Horizontal screen-width elements between posts detract from continuity of threads from post to post, and so impair readability.

On a mobile system, the sequential horizontal presentation allows for more easily using the whole screen for reading the post content. but for desktop systems, a persistent screen-length sidebar, that is mostly empty for longer posts, is a waste of left-side screen space.

The poster data block could be treated the way ads are, with the text wrapping around it to the right, then across the entire screen, after the variable-length poster block is concluded. If xenforo doesn't already have options or plugins for that, it could be done with css. Also, not overlaying the avatar with the post/like count should be easy enough to do.

I would also like to see a checkbox for whether to include or exclude nested/internal quotes when quoting/replying.

Thanks to everyone involved in keeping PF a worthy forum site.

Last edited:

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
I won't ask for any feature until I see the new version, but I hope that albums have been enabled in the media gallery.

Klystron

Gold Member
Do you need help testing the rollout? I could represent the arthritic Ashkenazic critical cohort of intelligent insomniacs.

Typical AACCII bug report:
  • Oy, Mark, 'like' button broken again. Pressed button 13 times but no 'Hate'.
  • Eyeglasses pinch; but when I use 128 point font, only see 2 words on screen.
  • 'Like' button still broken. Posted hilarious joke but no Likes. Please fix.
Seriously, the administration of this site is superb. Look forward to the next rollout.

Krushnaraj Pandya

Gold Member
What gives you this motivation, time and energy to work on a site for 4 months straight? I couldn't think of doing something so selfless for so long...thanks though it's great to have PF

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
What gives you this motivation, time and energy to work on a site for 4 months straight? I couldn't think of doing something so selfless for so long...thanks though it's great to have PF
PF is Greg's child. He has an emotional attachment to this site, more than any other member. After all, he has created PF from scratch. That's why one will never find that he is lacking motivation in working on PF.

Krushnaraj Pandya

Gold Member
I'm... I'm... not emotional... :cry::cry::cry::cry::biggrin:
I'd like to read a history of PF someday...this is by far my favorite website ever.
PF is Greg's child. He has an emotional attachment to this site, more than any other member. After all, he has created PF from scratch. That's why one will never find that he is lacking motivation in working on PF.
True. Maybe I'll be inspired to do something so great one day too :D

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
Looking forward to updating it when we set PF5 live!
Another thing needs to be changed in a number of places: I believe the username of Dale was previously DaleSpam. That has not been changed in the Mentor bios and mentor list.

Wrichik Basu

Gold Member
2018 Award
Ah, one thing: since Google is shutting down G+, will the G+ link be disabled in Share this great discussion with others via... under threads in PF5?