PF5 Release Update: Coming Soon Before GoT S8!

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF5 is coming near the end of March, and there are many new features and improvements. There is a new like button, and glasses pinch when you use a large font. The like button still isn't working, but the humor post got a lot of likes.
2uz7ww.jpg

And it will be here (hopefully) before Game of Thrones season 8! (April 14th).

We are hoping to release PF5 sometime near the end of this month (March). It will be a medium level evolution in our progression. The style has been completely redone, but is very similar to the style now. There should be no real shock, other than we're switching to a top horizontal postbit in threads. Also usage and functionality is nearly the same, only there is a ton more functionality. Dozens of improvements and new features are available. To name a few: tables now native in the enhanced editor, Likes have been expanded into more reaction options, unfurling URLs, push notifications, quick thread feature...

One last to note is that we've decided to ditch the mobile app that is available via Apple and Android. It has become expensive and integration was always limited leading to inconsistencies. Luckily our mobile style is also very much improved. It's still possible to have an app icon that leads to the website on your screen for quick access and I'll describe how to do that later. The app will continue to function through March until we upgrade.

I'll post more updates as I have them. Feel free to ask questions.

Attachments

• 2uz7ww.jpg
    2uz7ww.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,551
Likes Imager, DryRun, ibkev and 25 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
we're switching to a top horizontal postbit in threads.

Hmm. I am not sure how I feel about this. It feels old-fashioned. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Also, when did the name of this forum change to "Eigenlounge?" I approve.

Likes *now*
boneh3ad said:
It feels old-fashioned.

For as long as I can remember, postbits have generally been vertical columns back to 2001. The PF mobile style right now has horizontal postbit and now the desktop version will match.

boneh3ad said:
Also, when did the name of this forum change to "Eigenlounge?" I approve.

A few days ago :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
PF5 is coming!
Ah, jeez, somebody let Greg loose among the switches and levers. Hunker down everyone ! :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu
I participate via phone quite often, usually through my mobile browser rather than the app.

Likes Wrichik Basu and noxidINF
The suspense is finally over! I believe the phrase "Big things are planned for winter 2018…" has to be changed now...

Could you post some screenshots of PF5?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
If I post an answer, is it still wrong?

Likes baldbrain, Imager, Klystron and 3 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
For as long as I can remember, postbits have generally been vertical columns back to 2001. The PF mobile style right now has horizontal postbit and now the desktop version will match.
How about making it an option, or detecting the device type and adjusting the presentation style accordingly, as most modern browsers are won't to do with most sites these days anyway.

I think that in general mobile-optimized presentations are conspicuously sub-optimal for the (typically) larger screens of desktop systems. Horizontal screen-width elements between posts detract from continuity of threads from post to post, and so impair readability.

On a mobile system, the sequential horizontal presentation allows for more easily using the whole screen for reading the post content. but for desktop systems, a persistent screen-length sidebar, that is mostly empty for longer posts, is a waste of left-side screen space.

The poster data block could be treated the way ads are, with the text wrapping around it to the right, then across the entire screen, after the variable-length poster block is concluded. If xenforo doesn't already have options or plugins for that, it could be done with css. Also, not overlaying the avatar with the post/like count should be easy enough to do.

I would also like to see a checkbox for whether to include or exclude nested/internal quotes when quoting/replying.

Thanks to everyone involved in keeping PF a worthy forum site.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
I won't ask for any feature until I see the new version, but I hope that albums have been enabled in the media gallery.

nscozzaro said:
Are you basically just upgrading your Xenforo version?
I wouldn't use the word "just". With a site as complicated and customized as PF it's a very big undertaking. Basically four months of work.

Likes nnunn, ibkev, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Do you need help testing the rollout? I could represent the arthritic Ashkenazic critical cohort of intelligent insomniacs.

Typical AACCII bug report:
  • Oy, Mark, 'like' button broken again. Pressed button 13 times but no 'Hate'.
  • Eyeglasses pinch; but when I use 128 point font, only see 2 words on screen.
  • 'Like' button still broken. Posted hilarious joke but no Likes. Please fix.
Seriously, the administration of this site is superb. Look forward to the next rollout.

Likes George Keeling, nnunn, *now* and 2 others
Klystron said:
Do you need help testing the rollout?
Thanks for the offer! Staff is currently testing. A few days out from release I may let Gold members do some final testing. Too early yet to say.

Likes Klystron and Wrichik Basu
What gives you this motivation, time and energy to work on a site for 4 months straight? I couldn't think of doing something so selfless for so long...thanks though it's great to have PF

Likes George Keeling, Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
What gives you this motivation, time and energy to work on a site for 4 months straight? I couldn't think of doing something so selfless for so long...thanks though it's great to have PF
PF is Greg's child. He has an emotional attachment to this site, more than any other member. After all, he has created PF from scratch. That's why one will never find that he is lacking motivation in working on PF.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Wrichik Basu said:
He has an emotional attachment to this site, more than any other member.
I'm... I'm... not emotional... :cry::cry::cry::cry::biggrin:

Likes Klystron, Krushnaraj Pandya and Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm... I'm... not emotional... :cry::cry::cry::cry::biggrin:
I'd like to read a history of PF someday...this is by far my favorite website ever.
Wrichik Basu said:
PF is Greg's child. He has an emotional attachment to this site, more than any other member. After all, he has created PF from scratch. That's why one will never find that he is lacking motivation in working on PF.
True. Maybe I'll be inspired to do something so great one day too :D

Likes Wrichik Basu and Greg Bernhardt
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
True. Maybe I'll be inspired to do something so great one day too :D
PF is a product of the dozens of mentors throughout the years and thousands of great members all working together in the name or science and community.

Likes Klystron and Wrichik Basu
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I'd like to read a history of PF someday...
A concise history is available here, if you haven't read that already.

Wrichik Basu said:
A concise history is available here, if you haven't read that already.
Looking forward to updating it when we set PF5 live!

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
Looking forward to updating it when we set PF5 live!
Another thing needs to be changed in a number of places: I believe the username of Dale was previously DaleSpam. That has not been changed in the Mentor bios and mentor list.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ah, one thing: since Google is shutting down G+, will the G+ link be disabled in Share this great discussion with others via... under threads in PF5?

Wrichik Basu said:
Ah, one thing: since Google is shutting down G+, will the G+ link be disabled in Share this great discussion with others via... under threads in PF5?
Sadly yes

But you can add WhatsApp, right? Say, if I click the link, then it will open the app on my phone; I will select the contact, and the link will be sent. For desktop users, it will redirect to https://web.whatsapp.com. This will be a good alternative to G+.

Wrichik Basu said:
But you can add WhatsApp, right?
Yes we'll have a share for WhatsApp

Likes Wrichik Basu
An altert came to me about "Come Test PF5" and so I clicked on the link in the alert and that resulting page was:

https://www.physicsforums.com/PF5%20Advisor%20Preview%20and%20Testing

Which, along with a picture, said:
Physics Forums | Science Articles, Homework Help, Discussion - Error
Search the Black Hole or Head Back to Base (homepage)[/paste:font]

symbolipoint said:
An altert came to me about "Come Test PF5" and so I clicked on the link in the alert and that resulting page was:
Yeah I bungled it, just got to the first post of this thread.

Sat March 23rd is now the hard date to update. More information on what to expect coming next week.

Likes Wrichik Basu
We're so excited to finally roll out PF5!

We will commence upgrade to PF5 starting around 9am CST on Sat March 23rd. The site will be closed for 2-3 hours. My primary goal is to get basic functionality returned. What this means is that if you visit Saturday after we reopen you'll almost certainly see PF in a less than complete stage. Things like the top navigation, sidebar content, video section, plenty of features and permissions, will be incomplete or wonky. I'd rather not have the site down for several days as I make it perfect and instead get basic functionality online quickly. That being said for the first 24-48 hours after coming back online I would please kindly ask you to only message me or start a feedback thread regarding an actual error message you receive rather than ask why feature X or function X is missing or why the navigation and sidebar is broken or make style preference requests. Be aware the first 24-48 hours expect a lot of movement and flux. What I need is time and space to get core parts configured as I have near 100 things on my list to do. There will be time after to debate preferences.

As mentioned before the new style is very similar to current and there should be little learning curve even though there are dozens of new features and improvements.

Remember that the mobile app for Apple and Android will be discontinued immediately after upgrade. Please use PF with a mobile browser. Here is a video on how to get a shortcut to PF on your iPhone home screen https://www.icaew.com/adding-an-iphone-shortcut and once we upgrade we'll have a notice about how to active push notifications for your browser/mobile.

Insights will also be overhauled but not at the same time. We are testing a new forum to WordPress bridge and it's not quite ready yet, but hopefully in the next 7-10 days. When ready Insights will adopt the PF style for better cohesion. Until then readers won't know the difference but the current bridge for authors might brake, I am not sure yet.

This upgrade event will be as big as when we moved from vBulletin several years ago. I'm going to try to make it as smooth as possible, but again for the first 24-48 hours expect wrinkles and give me time to iron them out.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Likes Hugh de Launay, collinsmark, vanhees71 and 11 others
Thank you for the valuable work you're going to do. Much appreciated Greg!

Likes hmmm27 and Greg Bernhardt
If I like it I'll go full gold member

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Feel free to ask any questions.
Does it come with more badges? :biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:

Likes mfb, DennisN and Klystron
<h2>1. What is PF5 Release Update?</h2><p>The PF5 Release Update is a software update for the popular game "Pathfinder 5". It will include bug fixes, new features, and improvements to enhance the gaming experience.</p><h2>2. When will the PF5 Release Update be released?</h2><p>The update is scheduled to be released before the premiere of the 8th season of "Game of Thrones" (GoT). The exact release date has not been announced, but it is expected to be in the coming weeks.</p><h2>3. What new features can we expect from the PF5 Release Update?</h2><p>The PF5 Release Update will include new character customization options, new quests and challenges, and improved graphics and gameplay mechanics. It will also address any known bugs or glitches in the game.</p><h2>4. Will the PF5 Release Update be free?</h2><p>Yes, the update will be free for all players of "Pathfinder 5". There will be no additional cost to download and install the update.</p><h2>5. How will the PF5 Release Update affect gameplay?</h2><p>The update is expected to improve the overall gameplay experience by addressing any known issues and introducing new features. It is also likely to attract new players and keep existing players engaged in the game.</p>

1. What is PF5 Release Update?

The PF5 Release Update is a software update for the popular game "Pathfinder 5". It will include bug fixes, new features, and improvements to enhance the gaming experience.

2. When will the PF5 Release Update be released?

The update is scheduled to be released before the premiere of the 8th season of "Game of Thrones" (GoT). The exact release date has not been announced, but it is expected to be in the coming weeks.

3. What new features can we expect from the PF5 Release Update?

The PF5 Release Update will include new character customization options, new quests and challenges, and improved graphics and gameplay mechanics. It will also address any known bugs or glitches in the game.

4. Will the PF5 Release Update be free?

Yes, the update will be free for all players of "Pathfinder 5". There will be no additional cost to download and install the update.

5. How will the PF5 Release Update affect gameplay?

The update is expected to improve the overall gameplay experience by addressing any known issues and introducing new features. It is also likely to attract new players and keep existing players engaged in the game.