PF5 Release Update: Coming Soon Before GoT S8!

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, PF5 is coming near the end of March, and there are many new features and improvements. There is a new like button, and glasses pinch when you use a large font. The like button still isn't working, but the humor post got a lot of likes.
I like how PF5 translates to P=16 f=6 5, which is 1665, or 3^2*5 *the 12th prime. I like the 12th prime story... but like it's makers more. :D

Likes Ygggdrasil and pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
Matt Benesi said:
I like how PF5 translates to P=16 f=6 5, which is 1665, or 3^2*5 *the 12th prime. I like the 12th prime story... but like it's makers more. :D
Please do this in arrow notation

Likes Matt Benesi
pinball1970 said:
Please do this in arrow notation
That post [itex] \uparrow \uparrow \uparrow \uparrow \uparrow [/itex] is the 12th prime post. :p

Likes pinball1970
Matt Benesi said:
That post [itex] \uparrow \uparrow \uparrow \uparrow \uparrow [/itex] is the 12th prime post. :p

Thanks. I can't imagine any more iterations other than 3. 3 seems semi normal. Please join the discussion on Graham numdr on the other thread. We need more mathematician guys 44 is being evasive and I not sure where 22 is

PF5 COMING! no side tracks

Thanks for all your work, @Greg Bernhardt!

Orodruin said:
Does it come with more badges? :biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:
I've heard that in PF5 the badges flags are stored in one byte only, so when you get nine, you'll suddenly have zero badges. Like I have now. :smile:

Likes Stavros Kiri
Orodruin said:
Does it come with more badges? :biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:
Asking the important questions!

Likes Stavros Kiri
Greg Bernhardt said:
Feel free to ask any questions.
Stupid question: why do an upgrade? Old was working just fine! ... :smile::nb):biggrin:

Stavros Kiri said:
Stupid question: why do an upgrade? Old was working just fine! ... :smile::nb):biggrin:
newsgroups worked just fine too :biggrin:

Likes Stavros Kiri
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yep!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Maybe going back IS the upgrade :biggrin:
Hmmm, ... On second thought I like the forum better ... Time to move on! ...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
@Greg Bernhardt Best of luck! Don't know whether I'll be able to check back before Tuesday, but hope to see PF in a whole new look when I return.

Good luck, thanks for the heads up!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I still have the Perl scripts that I wrote when I was head moderator for a newsgroup from 1997 to 2007. They even accommodate multiple moderators. sci.physics.physicsforums, anyone? :rolleyes:

Likes Stavros Kiri and Greg Bernhardt
Likes Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
logging in works (obvious according to this ability to make the post).

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Drop-downs don't drop down anymore. How do i check "Watched Threads" ?

win7, Chrome

jim hardy said:
Drop-downs don't drop down anymore. How do i check "Watched Threads" ?

win7, Chrome

HMMM ... tried it w/ Chrome and only got one drop down and had to click to get that:
OOPS ... was not logged in. When logged in w/ Chrome, I get the full drop-down but ONLY if I click on the header ("FORUMS")

OOPS & OOPS ... did not actually get "drop-down" via hover in FireFox. Got the same clickable dropdown as in Chrome

I like the look. Thanks for all your hard work!

Likes Klystron
phinds said:
OOPS ... was not logged in. When logged in w/ Chrome, I get the full drop-down but ONLY if I click on the header ("FORUMS")
Thanks - Found it ! I have to click the little arrow adjacent , not the word...

That's a LOT BETTER than those pesky dropdown-on-hover(or more often just pass by)

Thanks Greg !

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
I found out that the upload button function (which I used a lot) is now the Insert image (picture icon), the tool bar.
Or maybe its "Attach files" button, below the type text area.

jim hardy said:
I have to click the little arrow adjacent , not the word...
As we have the same link target at the big "PhysicsForums" to the left it might make sense to make the whole word leading to the dropdown.

mfb said:
As we have the same link target at the big "PhysicsForums" to the left it might make sense to make the whole word leading to the dropdown.
You can't do that with mouse click, only hover. That is the trade off.

Klystron said:
'like' button broken again
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
What gives you this motivation, time and energy to work on a site for 4 months straight? I couldn't think of doing something so selfless for so long...thanks though it's great to have PF
Like button broken and I can't quote these. Duh! Not logged in. Did the new version log me out?
Thanks very much Greg for all the hard work! :kiss: PF

• Love
Likes Greg Bernhardt
George Keeling said:
Did the new version log me out?
Yes, I'm pretty sure you need to log in again after the upgrade. I know that I had to. :smile:

I love the new look and features! Thanks again Greg, look forward to using it all as soon as I complete high school :biggrin:

• Love
Likes DrTherapist, berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
A new feature I just added that I want to highlight is "Hot Threads" which is found under the forums top nav drop down. It lists threads from the past 14 days that either have 30+ replies, are challenges or Insights, >3 reaction score of the first post or the thread starter having >1000 reaction score. This is a nice way to get a quick look at some of the more interesting threads around the forum.

• Skeptical
Likes Bystander, Wrichik Basu and phinds
Good news for Insight readers. This weekend we're going to installed a new front end to the blog that will mimic our forum style!

Likes Wrichik Basu and phinds
Greg Bernhardt said:
You can't do that with mouse click, only hover. That is the trade off.
Trade off between what?

Currently hovering does nothing. I have (among others) three areas to click: The big "PhysicsForums" on the left, the smaller "Forums", and the even smaller arrow area. This small area leads to a dropdown with some of the most used features in the forums. The "Forums" area has the same target as the big "PhysicsForums" - wasted space. It could lead to the dropdown, the same as the arrow does.
This is not a new functionality, "Info" already works like this: The whole "Info" area leads to the dropdown, not just the area.
Greg Bernhardt said:
It lists threads from the past 14 days that either have 30+ replies, are challenges or Insights, >3 reaction score of the first post or the thread starter having >1000 reaction score.
Many views might also be an interesting value.

mfb said:
The whole "Info" area leads to the dropdown, not just the area.
Because the root element is not a link.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Because the root element is not a link.
That's my suggested change for the "forums" area. Make the root element not a link, but make it open the dropdown.

Edit: Time travel? The forum thinks these posts are in the future.

Likes Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
That's my suggested change for the "forums" area. Make the root element not a link, but make it open the dropdown.
ok done

• Love
Likes mfb