PF5 Problems and Errors

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I get the same thing. No "about" and a link to start a conversation
Yes, since there is no About information entered and the conversation button is always there.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Yes, since there is no About information entered and the conversation button is always there.
OKaay... try this logically similiar situtation.
Three Four push buttons on a panel, labelled Up, Down, Pause, Fire.
You push the Pause button.
The Pause function is not implemented.
What random function should be activated?

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
OKaay... try this logically similiar situtation.
Three Four push buttons on a panel, labelled Up, Down, Pause, Fire.
You push the Pause button.
The Pause function is not implemented.
What random function should be activated?
I don't understand this comparison. The About button does what it does with every user. Some have disclosed personal information, other have not. Thus it is empty. At the bottom of the About page is always the "Start Conversation" option. Well, not always. I couldn't start a conversation with myself.

OCR

Mine seems to be OK. . . . 🙋‍♂️

About OCR

OCR

At the bottom of the About page is always the "Start Conversation" option.

Odd, I don't seem to have that option. . . always thought it was there ?

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Odd, I don't seem to have that option. . . always thought it was there ?
It is now above the "About" button, on the same row as the "Find" button. It does not appear when you look at your own account.

OCR

It does not appear when you look at your own account.

Not even in the Quantum Physics Forum ?. . . I'm devastated !! . :oldcry:

Tom.G

Science Advisor
At the bottom of the About page is always the "Start Conversation" option.
That occurs here ONLY when the About field is empty. It does not appear if the member has filled in the About page.
I don't understand this comparison.
I was trying to say that the optimal behaviour when selecting an operation is to receive an informative result, not a random result if there is a problem.

It's as if someone filled in the wrong 'Else' branch of an If-Then-Else instruction when About is clicked.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Not even in the Quantum Physics Forum ?. . . I'm devastated !!
Yes, a real problem with Multiple Personality syndrome.

(Who wrote that using my name?)

OCR

Hey. . . c'mon now !!

1564107005844.png

. . . :oldlaugh:

OCR

. . . is to receive an informative result not a random result. . .

Even in the Quantum Physics Forum ? . . . . :nb)

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Even in the Quantum Physics Forum ? . . . . :nb)
I would hazard an "Indeterminate", at least until the cat is out of the bag err box.

Reactions: OCR
That occurs here ONLY when the About field is empty. It does not appear if the member has filled in the About page.
It does - below the information the user put in. See OCR's profile for example.
It doesn't show up for you in your profile because starting a conversation with yourself is not a supported forum feature.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
It does - below the information the user put in. See OCR's profile for example.
Hmm, either we are talking about different things/positions or it is computer dependent.

Things wrapped a bit, but here is a capture of OCRs About page. Note the "Conversation" button appears only above the personal data.

Following OCRs page is Kenny1999 About page. Note that Kenny1999 page ends with "Start Conversation", replacing the absent personal data.

OCR

A PF Cell · 70 · From Montana

Joined Sep 27, 2011

Messages 749 Reaction score 586 Points 119

Follow Ignore

Start conversation

Profile posts Postings About Post areas Trophies

• I'm the FNG ( Fairly New Guy ). . . 🙋‍♂️

Birthday Apr 21, 1949 (Age: 70) Location Montana

Followers

========================

kenny1999

A PF Molecule

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Last seen Wednesday, 5:24 PM

Messages 96 Reaction score 1 Points 58

Follow Ignore

Start conversation

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About Post areas Trophies

• Contact
    Conversation Start conversation

OCR

Last edited:
Strange. If I look at your profile without special rights I don't see the "start a conversation" link there. It seems to be there sometimes but not always. It is not 1:1 related to the profile information as the example of Greg shows.

@Greg Bernhardt: What is going on here? Why is the conversation start link in the profile for some users but not for all - without special permissions?

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
When viewing a particular members Information page, clicking on the "About" button brings up the "Conversation" window, not the About window.

This does not occur with all members. It does occur here:
That is because the user has set no "About", i.e. none of the fields in the about section for that user is filled.

@Greg Bernhardt: What is going on here? Why is the conversation start link in the profile for some users but not for all - without special permissions?
What do you mean "without special permissions"? Using a few test accounts, I always had the option.

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I was making new posts (responses) today and have the following happen:

I made a few different inserted quotes separated by some returns (there were to returned to and responded to),
I then typed in text in various places,
At some point, I tried either bolding some text or turning some of the text into a link. Then paragraphs further down the page would either get bolded or linked. Undoing the changes by changing back the original changed text would also change back the lower paragraphs. The lower paragraphs could be individually unlinked or unbolded.

I think this might have had something to do with my inserting of the quotes at the beginning, but not sure.
This post, for example, had no problems.

What do you mean "without special permissions"? Using a few test accounts, I always had the option.
Check the bottom of OCR's "about" tab in the profile with a test account. There won't be a "Start a conversation" link (or any contact information). For you and for @kenny1999 there is. Where does the difference come from?

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Check the bottom of OCR's "about" tab in the profile with a test account. There won't be a "Start a conversation" link (or any contact information). For you and for @kenny1999 there is. Where does the difference come from?
Is there some minimum amount of posts required before a new user is allowed to send private messages? I seem to remember a restriction on new members sending private messages after some users were getting spam from new accounts. If your test account is new, this may be the source of the problem.

Klystron

Gold Member
Howdy Greg,

Trouble with the "Like" button extended icons. 'Like' and 'removing Like' work as before. Can no longer press the light bulb icon or any others. Usually browse with Firefox but posted this while testing Chrome incognito. Sometimes the icons appear with Firefox but only 'Like' appears after touch. Cleared cache, rebooted. No go.

Minor problem. Could be related to my touch settings in Windows. Will experiment.

Windows 8.2 on Acer (Fry's) laptop. COX Comm. wireless home network.

thanks, Norm