PF5 Problems and Errors

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gets worse: The list goes back to July 29 only -- where are the unread ones from before that date ?

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
'Expire' meaning they disappear from the list -- but the counter still counts them as unread !

'Expire' meaning they disappear from the list -- but the counter still counts them as unread !
hmmm, but you're on PF almost every day? How are alerts going unread for over a month? btw, read, simply means generated by the popup or list. Obviously the system can't know what alert you've physically "looked" at.

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What about 'Hot threads' ? I look and the latest post is dated August 1 (2019, I concede :smile: )

Some (chrome, W10) buffer issue ?

1569915074142.png

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Another one:
Why are most items capitalized, 'media' not ?
Spelling is Subscript, not Sub Script
Idem Superscript
In contrast: In line is two words for language buffs; computerists use inline

1569962515028.png

Klystron

Gold Member
Incorrect 'Like' appears on the first post in this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/atoms-and-black-holes.978654/

I was logged off PF when this thread was started, my laptop shut off for routine maintenance. Did not read thread until this afternoon 8 Oct 2019 PDT when I noticed a 'Like' which I removed. I might have attributed the Like to clumsy touch screen navigation on my part since the thread makes no sense, except that I was logged out over night. Curious.

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just now experienced really weird behaviour when editing a post I had already posted, that contained in-line latex code, and somebody posted to that thread while I was editing.
The screen flashed and the whole page updated, the result being that all in-line latex had been irreversibly converted to the maths characters they represent, and the inline latex delimiters had disappeared.

That happened to this post. I've fixed it now, but it took a while to work out what was going on. I ended up having to repair the post using an off-line latex editor, then quickly paste the text back in and save before another post from somebody else could come in and wreck it.

I suppose this had not been noticed previously because it requires three things to come together:

1. Editing a previous post
2. The post contains in-line latex
3. Somebody else posts to the thread while doing the above.

Even to reproduce the issue, you'd need to do 1 and 2 and then ask a friend to post to the thread while you are doing that. Or do the test in a thread where there is a constant flurry of activity.

It would be nice if it could be fixed. If not, perhaps a warning could be put up, that editing one's posts is risky if they contain latex.

This happened in Edge browser on Windows 10.

Wrichik Basu

Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I have faced this too, but didn't get a chance to write here. I had written a thread with lot of LaTeX. After posting, I found some errors in the OP and edited it. When I saved, the page updated, with all latex being converted to the maths characters they represent. It was a long post, and unfortunately I didn't have a copy of the LaTeX code. Finally I requested a deletion of the thread. This was about a month ago.

Charles Link

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
@Charles Link is above the issue we were exploring awhile back?
Yes, I experienced this same thing quite a number of times. I haven't had the problem for a couple months now, but I haven't posted much in the last two months. And it was rather problematic when it did happen=a long post with a lot of Latex would take a long time to convert it back to Latex, only to find the Latex disappear again before all the corrections were made. Like @andrewkirk I had to edit one post by starting a new thread and getting it completely correct before posting. Trying to make one simple correction to a post could cause the complete Latex to crash again.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
A workaround would be to hit Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C after the edit command and keep it in the buffer.

Buzz Bloom

Gold Member
My problem is that sometimes when I edit a post, if I attempt to italicize, bold or underline even a single word or letter, then everything following also gets italicize or bolded or underlined.

I experimented with this post, but the problem failed to show up here. Murphy's Law.

In the post
when I tried to bold "understanding" the problem showed up.

OCR

Last edited: