PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Click on Alerts -> Show All
Select Mark all as read - they get marked as read on this page
Go to https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads?unread=0 - Still marked as unread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
Click on Alerts -> Show All
Select Mark all as read - they get marked as read on this page
Go to https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads?unread=0 - Still marked as unread.
Marking alerts "read" is not related to marking watched threads "read".

They all get marked as read as soon as you click on the alert symbol anyway so what's the purpose of that selection? If it only applies to the alert list that's fine. What I was looking for was a way to mark all of my threads as having been read.

Borg said:
What I was looking for was a way to mark all of my threads as having been read.
That can be done from the watched threads page

Greg Bernhardt said:
That can be done from the watched threads page
Where?

Borg said:
Where?
actually just using the "mark forums read" link in the top forums navigation will do the trick

Borg said:
They all get marked as read as soon as you click on the alert symbol anyway
That depends on your settings. See #156.

Greg Bernhardt said:
actually just using the "mark forums read" link in the top forums navigation will do the trick
Oh that's where it's hiding...
Orodruin said:
That depends on your settings. See #156.
I never set that so it must be a default.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Borg said:
I never set that so it must be a default.
The default is that dropping the alert menu marks alerts as read. As evident from earlier in this conversation, it took me some time to find the setting ... :sorry:

Likes Borg
Wrichik Basu said:
1. I know that font size can be changed using BBCodes. Can you put an icon that can increase or decrease text size, like in MS word?

I tried to keep the mobile toolbar one line to keep it slim. Looks like I didn't even manage that. I suppose not many are using tables on mobile, we could put font size there instead. What is your phone screen width?

Wrichik Basu said:
2. Can you put an option for toggle case?

Not likely going to happen

Wrichik Basu said:
3. Inline codes can be written using BBCodes. Can this be simplified? For example, we can write Latex by $$ and ##. Can anything similar be made for internal codes, so as to simplify the writing? It's time consuming to write every time.

I'm confused, why can't you use the shortcode on mobile? What is internal codes?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm confused, why can't you use the shortcode on mobile? What is internal codes?
Typo, inline codes. Anyways, ignore it. I'll manage.
Greg Bernhardt said:
I tried to keep the mobile toolbar one line to keep it slim. Looks like I didn't even manage that. I suppose not many are using tables on mobile, we could put font size there instead. What is your phone screen width?
According to this source, the screen size is 5.5 inches. Don't know if that is the screen width. By the way, I have "desktop site" switched on.

Greg Bernhardt said:
bold by me

YES! Thanks.

Some of the threads in Unanswered Threads are very old threads. (I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so perhaps that's been mentioned before.)

Ibix said:
Nothing I said appears to have been quoted.
It's possible @Dale quoted you and then removed it?

Likes Ibix
Interesting, yes I did exactly that. At first I was going to reply to @Ibix and explain experimentally what it means to “see three pointlike objects”. But then I decided to make the post a little more general and include comments about mass. So instead I quoted the OP

Likes Ibix and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's possible @Dale quoted you and then removed it?
So the "quoted you" is triggered if you reply/quote even if you decide not to include it? Or @Dale posted something with a quote from me (generating the alert) then edited the post to remove my quote?

Ibix said:
Or @Dale posted something with a quote from me (generating the alert) then edited the post to remove my quote?
This

• Informative
Likes Ibix
How can 'damping questions' appear in unanswered ?

It's from April 18 and has 6 posts !

Yes it is !

nm I see it, it's a redirect as the thread has been moved and it's picked up as no post for the mech forum.

Peculiar definition of the term 'unanswered' :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Hi Greg:

I apologize if this "complaint" does not belong in this thread.

In the previous interface there was a feature that listed all the threads for which I had indicated my desire to "watch" it. That was very useful for finding older threads I wanted to read again. My current attempts to find and reread an old thread by using some search words I think might be helpful has rarely been helpful since at my age my memory is not so good. I hope some time soon that feature might be restored.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
In the previous interface there was a feature that listed all the threads for which I had indicated my desire to "watch" it. That was very useful for finding older threads I wanted to read again.
https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

Likes Buzz Bloom
There does seem to be some wrapping issues, but for the table example I'm not sure what could be done. How could that be wrapped? It should probably be converted to the new editor table. Even then it might not work. Not enough width.

Greg Bernhardt said:
but for the table example I'm not sure what could be done. How could that be wrapped? It should probably be converted to the new editor table. Even then it might not work. Not enough width.
You can fit the table within the space where the posts are normally visible, and enable horizontal scrolling.

I have specified line breaks to help force wrap equations, doesn't help tables. Let me know if that makes things better or worse.

Wrichik Basu said:
You can fit the table within the space where the posts are normally visible, and enable horizontal scrolling.
I think that is something that would need to be added in the mathjax library.