PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Physics news on Phys.org
Buzz Bloom said:
Can anyone help me?
Unintuitively the field is below the message editor.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Thank you much for your help. I apologize for not noticing things I should notice. It's an aging phenomenon.

I have discovered that I cannot use subscripts and/or superscripts or indents in either the Problem Staement or the Relevant Equations sections when trying to create an Advanced Physics Homework thread.

Can someone help me?

Worked for me. I typed in "Test of # # SUB_n # # and # # SUP^m # # elements. (without the blanks)

fresh_42 said:
Worked for me. I typed in "Test of # # SUB_n # # and # # SUP^m # # elements. (without the blanks)
Hi fresh:

For most things what yopu showed me works fine. However, one of the equations I want to include has the following form.
f(xyz,) = x(yz)

I cannot make the x##^y##notation using "#" work for this. I would like to use the format bar that is usable for the text of the main section, but much of it does not work with the Relevant Equations or Problem Statement sections.

Regards,
Buzz

fresh_42 said:
View attachment 244232

That is LaTeX, not the BB-codes [sub]/[sup]
They don't work in the problem description and relevant equations.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Let me know if that makes things better or worse.
No changes visible from my phone, perhaps because of the screen size as you've mentioned. Haven't checked from pc, however.

The page for the insight "Understanding Superposition" says I must be logged-in to comment, but I am logged-in. When I click on the "logged-in" link, I don't get any option to log-in.

Stephen Tashi said:
The page for the insight "Understanding Superposition" says I must be logged-in to comment, but I am logged-in. When I click on the "logged-in" link, I don't get any option to log-in.
A known issue. There is a link to the forum comment thread at the bottom of the insight.

What happened to the two rows of symbols, ie. Greek alphabet, math that were available with replies?

morrobay said:
What happened to the two rows of symbols, ie. Greek alphabet, math that were available with replies?
It's on the ##\sqrt{x}## sign.

fresh_42 said:
fresh_42 said:
fresh_42 said:
Well I don't see that sqrt(x) sign in this reply page, where is it, thanks

A70
fresh_42 said:
Maybe a limitation on this phone but the row I have ends at the counter clockwise arrow and the row does not slide to left to sqrtx.

morrobay said:
Maybe a limitation on this phone but the row I have ends at the counter clockwise arrow and the row does not slide to left to sqrtx.
But I do have that on my phone. If all icons cannot fit into one line, they will make a new line:

Screenshot_20190617-180157.png

The operating system of the phone might be helpful to know.

mfb said:
The operating system of the phone might be helpful to know.
It's a lava 550 cheap phone, android I believe. Maybe the upgrade got ahead of this phone. I have to go to internet outlets for uploading...

I also do not see a link for the symbols when accessing the post editor on my phone (Android 9, Chrome 75.0.3770.89)
2019-06-17 19.14.46.png

It is, however, understandable that the mobile post editor would not have all of the same features of the editor available on the desktop site.

That is exactly what my reply screen has. How about exchanging the order IE put sqrt(x) in place of smiley faces.

Likes Tom.G
With iOS
You can type ## at the beginning and end manually, an icon for it doesn’t do much.

Attachments

• 719C1672-DDF7-41DE-8AE5-58CD002E529A.jpeg
    719C1672-DDF7-41DE-8AE5-58CD002E529A.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 205
@Ygggdrasil and @morrobay Have you tried using Desktop site (that is, enabling Request Desktop Site in Chrome)? This might solve the problem. I always use the desktop site even when working from phone.

Not that internet savvy for running around. Again why not put the sqrt(x) in place of the trite smiley faces ?

Here's a couple of related bug that have been annoying me a little.

I start from this page to see unread messages - https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads?unread=0. If I then click the Forums tab and select Mark Forums Read, it sends me to the PF home page for some reason. Then, when I return back, the previously unread messages are still highlighted until refresh the page.

I have also seen lots of cases where threads stay highlighted after clicking on them using their link in the Alerts dropdown. I know that you have to visit the last page in the thread for them to get marked. Still, there are many times where I will return to my starting point and have to manually refresh the page in order to see which ones I haven't read yet.

Borg said:
Here's a couple of related bug that have been annoying me a little.

I start from this page to see unread messages - https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads?unread=0. If I then click the Forums tab and select Mark Forums Read, it sends me to the PF home page for some reason. Then, when I return back, the previously unread messages are still highlighted until refresh the page.

I have also seen lots of cases where threads stay highlighted after clicking on them using their link in the Alerts dropdown. I know that you have to visit the last page in the thread for them to get marked. Still, there are many times where I will return to my starting point and have to manually refresh the page in order to see which ones I haven't read yet.
If you press the back button on your browser, it will actually take you to the previous page and display it in the form that you saw before you left it. This is true for almost all web sites which don't refresh the page automatically.

As you are marking all threads read, you are being taken to the PF homepage. If you go back to the previous page by again clicking on the link (that you pasted above), you will see that all threads are marked read. If you, however, go back from the browser, you have to refresh the page to load the changes.

Similarly, say you post a message in a thread, and go to some other thread. If you return to that thread by pressing the back button from the browser, you will not find your post until you refresh the page. This is something that I always face.

While it is possible to change websites "live" (as it is done for the alerts as gold feature, for example) this is only used in important places. Normally the website stays as it is until you reload it, and that's the way it should be.

I only noted it because PF didn't behave like this before. Previously, hitting the back button on the browser didn't require any additional steps to un-highlight the thread that I went to.

Wrichik Basu said:
LaTeX issue. Already discussed here:
Screen size can make a difference.

Last edited:
OCR said:
Screen size can make a difference.
Lot of difference. Are you using 19" screen?

morrobay said:
Not that internet savvy for running around. Again why not put the sqrt(x) in place of the trite smiley faces ?
That calls for the intervention of @Greg Bernhardt. Maybe put the rest of the icons in a dropdown, or add a second line of icons?

Likes morrobay
Wrichik Basu said:
Are you using 19" screen?

I use a 24" and a 22", both are Dell.