PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
Greg Bernhardt said:
When you click the CDN link, you see a image with the "thumbs down" icon?
Yes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know the issue, should be fixed now

• Informative
  • Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre and fresh_42
Greg Bernhardt said:
When you click the CDN link, you see a image with the "thumbs down" icon?
When I click the link then I use the browser as image viewer, and all is as described: correct in chrome (W10), wrong in Opera. I wanted to test the file itself.
What is an interpreter?
The various browsers. They interpret the code line by line, or meanwhile tag by tag, in contrast to a program which needs a compiled code and executes the compilation.

App.:
Back in Chrome to see what my "informative" did here.
The good news is, it is shown as "informative" on this platform.
The bad news is, it shows "Tom G" as the one who set the mark, not me.

Fixed in Opera and Firefox, and the marks carry the correct author "you" now.✌

:bow:

:partytime:

Likes BillTre and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
I know the issue, should be fixed now
Just out of curiosity, where was the issue?

Wrichik Basu said:
Just out of curiosity, where was the issue?
I upgraded PFs core software a few days ago, it overwrote the custom reaction image.

Likes dlgoff and Wrichik Basu
fresh_42 said:
The bad news is, it shows "Tom G" as the one who set the mark, not me.
I'm hiding everywhere.
(And didn't even know it! What a waste. :oldbiggrin:)

Likes fresh_42
Looks like the same to me, just with and without About information given.

Tom.G said:
When viewing a particular members Information page, clicking on the "About" button brings up the "Conversation" window, not the About window.

This does not occur with all members. It does occur here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/kenny1999.209603/#about
I get the same thing. No "about" and a link to start a conversation

phinds said:
I get the same thing. No "about" and a link to start a conversation
Yes, since there is no About information entered and the conversation button is always there.

• Informative
Likes phinds
fresh_42 said:
Yes, since there is no About information entered and the conversation button is always there.
Ah ha.

fresh_42 said:
OKaay... try this logically similar situtation.
Three Four push buttons on a panel, labelled Up, Down, Pause, Fire.
You push the Pause button.
The Pause function is not implemented.
What random function should be activated?

Tom.G said:
OKaay... try this logically similar situtation.
Three Four push buttons on a panel, labelled Up, Down, Pause, Fire.
You push the Pause button.
The Pause function is not implemented.
What random function should be activated?
I don't understand this comparison. The About button does what it does with every user. Some have disclosed personal information, other have not. Thus it is empty. At the bottom of the About page is always the "Start Conversation" option. Well, not always. I couldn't start a conversation with myself.

fresh_42 said:
At the bottom of the About page is always the "Start Conversation" option.
Odd, I don't seem to have that option. . . always thought it was there ?

OCR said:
Odd, I don't seem to have that option. . . always thought it was there ?
It is now above the "About" button, on the same row as the "Find" button. It does not appear when you look at your own account.

Tom.G said:
It does not appear when you look at your own account.
Not even in the Quantum Physics Forum ?. . . I'm devastated ! . :oldcry:

Likes Tom.G
fresh_42 said:
At the bottom of the About page is always the "Start Conversation" option.
That occurs here ONLY when the About field is empty. It does not appear if the member has filled in the About page.
fresh_42 said:
I don't understand this comparison.
I was trying to say that the optimal behaviour when selecting an operation is to receive an informative result, not a random result if there is a problem.

It's as if someone filled in the wrong 'Else' branch of an If-Then-Else instruction when About is clicked.

OCR said:
Not even in the Quantum Physics Forum ?. . . I'm devastated !
Yes, a real problem with Multiple Personality syndrome.

(Who wrote that using my name?)

Hey. . . c'mon now !
1564107005844.png

. . . :oldlaugh:

Likes Tom.G
Tom.G said:
. . . is to receive an informative result not a random result. . .
Even in the Quantum Physics Forum ? . . . . :nb)

OCR said:
Even in the Quantum Physics Forum ? . . . . :nb)
I would hazard an "Indeterminate", at least until the cat is out of the bag err box.

Likes OCR
Tom.G said:
That occurs here ONLY when the About field is empty. It does not appear if the member has filled in the About page.
It does - below the information the user put in. See OCR's profile for example.
It doesn't show up for you in your profile because starting a conversation with yourself is not a supported forum feature.

mfb said:
It does - below the information the user put in. See OCR's profile for example.
Hmm, either we are talking about different things/positions or it is computer dependent.

Things wrapped a bit, but here is a capture of OCRs About page. Note the "Conversation" button appears only above the personal data.

Following OCRs page is Kenny1999 About page. Note that Kenny1999 page ends with "Start Conversation", replacing the absent personal data.OCR

A PF Cell · 70 · From Montana

Joined Sep 27, 2011

Messages 749 Reaction score 586 Points 119

Follow Ignore

Start conversation

Profile posts Postings About Post areas Trophies

• I'm the FNG ( Fairly New Guy ). . . 🙋‍♂️

Birthday Apr 21, 1949 (Age: 70) Location Montana

Followers

========================

kenny1999

A PF Molecule

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Last seen Wednesday, 5:24 PM

Messages 96 Reaction score 1 Points 58

Follow Ignore

Start conversation

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About Post areas Trophies

• Contact
    Conversation Start conversation

mfb said:
Here is a screenshot.
And another one, the full view, the one I see, anyway. . . . :oldshy:

1564126967045.png

Last edited:
mfb said:
Looks like OCR has conversations disabled. . .
You sure ?

1564128577515.png

Strange. If I look at your profile without special rights I don't see the "start a conversation" link there. It seems to be there sometimes but not always. It is not 1:1 related to the profile information as the example of Greg shows.

@Greg Bernhardt: What is going on here? Why is the conversation start link in the profile for some users but not for all - without special permissions?

Likes Tom.G
Tom.G said:
When viewing a particular members Information page, clicking on the "About" button brings up the "Conversation" window, not the About window.

This does not occur with all members. It does occur here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/members/kenny1999.209603/#about
That is because the user has set no "About", i.e. none of the fields in the about section for that user is filled.

mfb said:
@Greg Bernhardt: What is going on here? Why is the conversation start link in the profile for some users but not for all - without special permissions?
What do you mean "without special permissions"? Using a few test accounts, I always had the option.

I was making new posts (responses) today and have the following happen:

I made a few different inserted quotes separated by some returns (there were to returned to and responded to),
I then typed in text in various places,
At some point, I tried either bolding some text or turning some of the text into a link. Then paragraphs further down the page would either get bolded or linked. Undoing the changes by changing back the original changed text would also change back the lower paragraphs. The lower paragraphs could be individually unlinked or unbolded.

I think this might have had something to do with my inserting of the quotes at the beginning, but not sure.
This post, for example, had no problems.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What do you mean "without special permissions"? Using a few test accounts, I always had the option.
Check the bottom of OCR's "about" tab in the profile with a test account. There won't be a "Start a conversation" link (or any contact information). For you and for @kenny1999 there is. Where does the difference come from?

mfb said:
Check the bottom of OCR's "about" tab in the profile with a test account. There won't be a "Start a conversation" link (or any contact information). For you and for @kenny1999 there is. Where does the difference come from?
Is there some minimum amount of posts required before a new user is allowed to send private messages? I seem to remember a restriction on new members sending private messages after some users were getting spam from new accounts. If your test account is new, this may be the source of the problem.

Howdy Greg,

Trouble with the "Like" button extended icons. 'Like' and 'removing Like' work as before. Can no longer press the light bulb icon or any others. Usually browse with Firefox but posted this while testing Chrome incognito. Sometimes the icons appear with Firefox but only 'Like' appears after touch. Cleared cache, rebooted. No go.

Minor problem. Could be related to my touch settings in Windows. Will experiment.

Windows 8.2 on Acer (Fry's) laptop. COX Comm. wireless home network.

thanks, Norm

<h2>1. What is PF5 and why is it important to report and discuss problems and errors?</h2><p>PF5 stands for "Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss" and it is a process used in scientific research to identify and address issues that may arise during experiments or data analysis. It is important to report and discuss these problems and errors in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of scientific findings.</p><h2>2. What are some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research?</h2><p>Some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research include equipment malfunctions, human error, biased data, and insufficient sample sizes. These can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not addressed and corrected.</p><h2>3. How can reporting and discussing problems and errors improve the quality of scientific research?</h2><p>By reporting and discussing problems and errors, scientists can identify and correct any issues that may affect the accuracy of their research. This can lead to more reliable and valid results, ultimately improving the overall quality of scientific research.</p><h2>4. What is the process for reporting and discussing problems and errors in scientific research?</h2><p>The process for reporting and discussing problems and errors may vary depending on the specific research project and team. However, it typically involves documenting the issue, discussing it with other researchers or colleagues, and implementing a solution or making necessary adjustments to the research methods.</p><h2>5. How can scientists prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research?</h2><p>There are several steps scientists can take to prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research. These include carefully planning and designing experiments, using reliable and calibrated equipment, double-checking data and calculations, and having a thorough understanding of the scientific methods being used.</p>

1. What is PF5 and why is it important to report and discuss problems and errors?

PF5 stands for "Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss" and it is a process used in scientific research to identify and address issues that may arise during experiments or data analysis. It is important to report and discuss these problems and errors in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of scientific findings.

2. What are some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research?

Some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research include equipment malfunctions, human error, biased data, and insufficient sample sizes. These can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not addressed and corrected.

3. How can reporting and discussing problems and errors improve the quality of scientific research?

By reporting and discussing problems and errors, scientists can identify and correct any issues that may affect the accuracy of their research. This can lead to more reliable and valid results, ultimately improving the overall quality of scientific research.

4. What is the process for reporting and discussing problems and errors in scientific research?

The process for reporting and discussing problems and errors may vary depending on the specific research project and team. However, it typically involves documenting the issue, discussing it with other researchers or colleagues, and implementing a solution or making necessary adjustments to the research methods.

5. How can scientists prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research?

There are several steps scientists can take to prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research. These include carefully planning and designing experiments, using reliable and calibrated equipment, double-checking data and calculations, and having a thorough understanding of the scientific methods being used.