PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
I just cleared my cookies and cache in Firefox under Windows 10 and had no problems with the "like" icons

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
I just cleared my cookies and cache in Firefox under Windows 10 and had no problems with the "like" icons
I'll try that again after disabling a recent Firefox add-on. Thanks for the info.

[Edit: clearing cache cookies and restarting Firefox fixed the icons. Also found a problem with my touch screen. Touch pad (read mouse) works fine. Thanks.]

Last edited:
Ygggdrasil said:
Is there some minimum amount of posts required before a new user is allowed to send private messages? I seem to remember a restriction on new members sending private messages after some users were getting spam from new accounts. If your test account is new, this may be the source of the problem.
The test account is old and can send messages. It sees the send message icon in the "about" tab for some users but not for others, and I don't find a pattern in it.

mfb said:
The test account is old and can send messages. It sees the send message icon in the "about" tab for some users but not for others, and I don't find a pattern in it.
PM me the account

@Greg Bernhardt I got some weird errors a few moments earlier:

PF Post reply.png
PF Alerts.png

Pictures posted in threads appear to be broken too.

Are you doing a scheduled maintenance job?

Wrichik Basu said:
Were you doing a scheduled maintenance job?
Yes and no. 😄 You might see these issues again, I'm testing some things.

Likes Wrichik Basu
I'm getting server errors on any search.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I like the confirm on Like. But (I think) it temporarily only allowed Like reaction.

Cool as Grunts! As my old Army friend used to say, experimenting in real time :cool:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm testing some things.
I figured as much. I'm getting vertigo... o0)

Likes Klystron
berkeman said:
I figured as much. I'm getting vertigo... o0)
And I thought that I was banned. :olduhh:

• Haha
Likes Greg Bernhardt and Klystron
Admins,

Recent odd PF behaviour. Noticed my Alert preferences were changing w/o my input. Alert text now vanishing leaving only list of numerical tags. Logged out and cleared Firefox cache, etc.

When attempting to log back in I momentarily 'became' a new member with email jameswirth24 (?). I tried to post a troubleshooting post but the system asked me to log in. Now I am logged in correctly as Klystron.

Months ago before PF5 upgrade I 'became' another member under similar circumstances but immediately logged off. Admin (Mike?) asked me to post next time this happened but this time the system seemed to realize I was not the new member when I tried to post. Transitory glitch?

Alerts working now but cannot adjust Preferences for alerts. Example: reading one alert marks all read. Thanks.

Likes Tom.G
I'm dealing with a host of issues at the moment. Please stay patient.

Likes phinds and Klystron
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm dealing with a host of issues

Pun intended?

• Haha
Likes mfb
Vanadium 50 said:
Pun intended?
Probably, and his name is AJAX, I assume. I won't become friends with him.

Likes Tom.G
Vanadium 50 said:
Pun intended?
Darn, I am slow today. Host of issues => host software.

There was some issue with certain files bring sent from the CDN. Really odd because the CDN techs couldn't reproduce. I am now sending the files from the sever and the problems end.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Problem seen in sign-in for about a day or so. Not currently seeing the problem right now. sometimes attempting to sign in gives me some of PF pages not showing me as signed in while others do show me as signed in. When I do see the problem, signing in attempt gives me a new PAGE on which to enter username & password; when I do not see the problem, signing in attempt gives me the DIALOG sign-in BOX on top of current page window. As just said, not seeing the problem at this moment.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Please stay patient.
Social/recreational media implies absolutely NO rush; was kinda scratching my head for a bit.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm dealing with a host of issues at the moment. Please stay patient.
Bystander said:
Social/recreational media implies absolutely NO rush; was kinda scratching my head for a bit.
PF attracts a cadre* of computer science types. The appeal for patience was likely to foreclose those sensitive helpful members attempting to aid Administration by reporting and reiterating perceived glitches. I imagine retired data center directors and FORTRAN coders are among the worst offenders most helpful members.

*Pun intended if you know some Common Lisp.

Likes phinds
I have discovered a very nice new feature in a user's profile. "Post Areas", which is a statistics of number of posts (I assume valid, i.e. not deleted from visible/deleted threads) per user per subforum. I cannot trace all 12934 counted posts + the ones uncounted for, but a healthy 12000 ones, while for MFB i could read 25000 posts distributed to which subforum they were made in, out of more than 32000 visible and accounted for.
Greg, do you have some extra details you may wish to add?

dextercioby said:
Greg, do you have some extra details you may wish to add?
Only that only the top 15 posted forums are listed.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
Only that only the top 15 posted forums are listed.

Thanks a lot. Exactly the type of details were missing from the picture. :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
dextercioby said:
I have discovered a very nice new feature in a user's profile. "Post Areas", which is a statistics of number of posts (I assume valid, i.e. not deleted from visible/deleted threads) per user per subforum.
I shouldn't have seen this. Now the wave function has collapsed and I know that I will have to constrain my jokes in GD 😭

• Haha
Likes Klystron
After all this time still confused about the alerts. I still have a backlog from a holiday period, but I'd like to mark the "Your recent report has been resolved:" alerts as read to get them off the list. No way to do that ? All I can find is "Mark ALL as read" -- but I don't want that: I'd have to "Mark as unread" the vast majority again, one by one, by hand :mad:

BvU said:
I still have a backlog from a holiday period, but I'd like to mark the "Your recent report has been resolved:" alerts as read to get them off the list. No way to do that ?
Viewed alerts will remain on the list page for 48h. Viewed alerts will remain in the popup for 6h.

Gets worse: The list goes back to July 29 only -- where are the unread ones from before that date ?

BvU said:
Gets worse: The list goes back to July 29 only -- where are the unread ones from before that date ?
Unread alerts expire after 30 days.

'Expire' meaning they disappear from the list -- but the counter still counts them as unread !

BvU said:
'Expire' meaning they disappear from the list -- but the counter still counts them as unread !
hmmm, but you're on PF almost every day? How are alerts going unread for over a month? btw, read, simply means generated by the popup or list. Obviously the system can't know what alert you've physically "looked" at.

Greg Bernhardt said:
but you're on PF almost every day? How are alerts going unread for over a month?
Quoting BvU,
BvU said:
I still have a backlog from a holiday period

Wrichik Basu said:
Quoting BvU,

The best way to keep track of unread threads long term is to use watched threads.
https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

Likes A M and Wrichik Basu
What about 'Hot threads' ? I look and the latest post is dated August 1 (2019, I concede :smile: )

Some (chrome, W10) buffer issue ?

1569915074142.png

Likes Tom.G
BvU said:
What about 'Hot threads' ? I look and the latest post is dated August 1 (2019, I concede :smile: )
The widget is populated from the most active threads from the past 120 days from the forum you're in.

• Informative
Likes BvU
Another one:
Why are most items capitalized, 'media' not ?
Spelling is Subscript, not Sub Script
Idem Superscript
In contrast: In line is two words for language buffs; computerists use inline
1569962515028.png

Likes Greg Bernhardt
BvU said:
Another one:
Why are most items capitalized, 'media' not ?
Spelling is Subscript, not Sub Script
Idem Superscript
In contrast: In line is two words for language buffs; computerists use inline
Fixed the scripts

Likes Ibix, fresh_42 and BvU