PF5 Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: doesn't work for me at all. when I try to view the desktop site on my laptop, it's fine, but on my phone it's just a bunch of white squares.I had this problem too. I'm using Chrome on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.On my phone, it just shows a white screen. I'm using Firefox on Android.
In mobile, the date/time under the name of a thread is the creation date, not the last posting date/time. Was that always true? I may be slow, but I noticed this a couple of days ago and it is confusing to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
In mobile, the date/time under the name of a thread is the creation date, not the last posting date/time. Was that always true?
As far as I know, that has been true since I joined.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I ran some cleanup processes
I thought so when it was taking forever to reach the site.

russ_watters said:
In mobile, the date/time under the name of a thread is the creation date, not the last posting date/time. Was that always true? I may be slow, but I noticed this a couple of days ago and it is confusing to me.
This should only be the case if you are logged out. I need to check that. I was trying to think what was more important to a visitor. The thread start date or last post date and I think last post date.

Greg Bernhardt said:
This should only be the case if you are logged out.
This seems to be independent of whether I am logged in or out.
Screenshot_20191115-191908.png

Wrichik Basu said:
ah I was thinking about thread list view. In thread view, the top time and date has always been creation alongside the creator name.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Greg Bernhardt said:
This should only be the case if you are logged out. I need to check that. I was trying to think what was more important to a visitor. The thread start date or last post date and I think last post date.
Inconsistent behavior between logged out and logged in is confusing. Not that I would personally care, I don't browse PF logged out.

• Haha
Likes BvU and Greg Bernhardt
Wrichik Basu said:
View attachment 252876
Greg Bernhardt said:
ah I was thinking about thread list view. In thread view, the top time and date has always been creation alongside the creator name.
No, I was referring to the thread list view:

Screenshot_20191116-201729_Chrome.jpg

russ_watters said:
No, I was referring to the thread list view:
Do you want to see creation date or last post date?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Last post date seems to be a better option in case of thread list view.

Likes russ_watters and mfb
Greg Bernhardt said:
Last post date makes more sense to me. I check in on threads based on activity.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
russ_watters said:
Last post date makes more sense to me. I check in on threads based on activity.
The desktop view is
1574009059785.png

so it's a matter of right versus left. If we swapped them, then the desktop view would get strange, i.e. confused: post starter avatar + last post info on the left, timestamp last post + post starter on the right. This would be a mess in my opinion. I understand that the information of the restricted view is in a way meaningless.

An optimal solution would be a source sensitive view, which is likely a matter of programming. As more than 50% of all users are mobile viewers, it seems to make sense to live with a messed up desktop view. But we could get similar complaints because of that. In any case: a headline in the "Filters" field should be a consequence as the views aren't self explaining anymore.

Today I logged out of PF after many months due to clearing of browser cache and cookies. While logging in, I saw this in the overlay:

1574597253163.png

Aren't the icons of Facebook and Twitter supposed to be there instead of boxes, like that of Google? (BTW, I have ad blocker disabled.)

Wrichik Basu said:
Aren't the icons of Facebook and Twitter supposed to be there instead of boxes, like that of Google? (BTW, I have ad blocker disabled.)
This could still be a browser issue: load not finished, memory capacity reached, or similar. It looks as if it is the same as on PF. As long as the interpreter hasn't properly gone through the page text, as long we see another layout of the page. Sometimes it even does not finish at all. I am not sure why it is the case, but it's a client phenomenon.

fresh_42 said:
This could still be a browser issue: load not finished, memory capacity reached, or similar. It looks as if it is the same as on PF. As long as the interpreter hasn't properly gone through the page text, as long we see another layout of the page. Sometimes it even does not finish at all. I am not sure why it is the case, but it's a client phenomenon.
When you have an alert, and you click on the dropdown, do you see something like this:

1574606930669.png

Specifically, do you see a box before "Mark unread", or do you see something else? (I used to see a star, now it has become a box.)

It used to be a star, but there seems to be some display problem. I get a "character I don't understand" box, too.

Likes Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
It used to be a star, but there seems to be some display problem. I get a "character I don't understand" box, too.
Me, too. On the login page. Another possible explanation is the following:
AFAIK do we work with an AJAX system. By clicking the login button, there would be another external dialogue necessary to fetch the icons, since they are probably nowhere stored in our system (or somewhere else). But as we are in the middle of a dialogue between server and client, no external dialogues take place, hence we can only see the box. The login dialogue box is simply no reconstruction of the page, it's only an additional window.

Cleared the cache now the symbol is gone completely.

This is a result of me removing the brands css from font awesome. It’s a large file that is relatively unnecessary. I just need to find the templates to edit out the missing brand symbols.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Another "bug" for a next release.

If the page renews itself while on the screen, the alert box entry isn't renewed, fine. But the list of "watched threads" sets it as new.

Not really a PF5 error, but for sure problem eligible for fixing:

I find the editor has provisions for tables and e.g. Excel (yuck) tables can be copy/pasted. Good.
Formatting from Excel (yu..) is lost. Not so good, but: oh well...

However, once the deed is done, formatting in the edit window is limited to formatting per cell ! Very not so good.
How about e.g. centering, bold-facing etc. for a selection of cells ?

It seems some alerts ( the bell icon on the upper-right ) is not triggered, i.e., does not show a number in red, despite the presence of messages. I mean I check the icon when it is not read and I see that there are messages I have not yet read. Sorry, sounds confusing, don't know how else to put it.

WWGD said:
It seems some alerts ( the bell icon on the upper-right ) is not triggered, i.e., does not show a number in red, despite the presence of messages. I mean I check the icon when it is not read and I see that there are messages I have not yet read. Sorry, sounds confusing, don't know how else to put it.
This usually happens if you have an open tab of this thread. It updates the page and it is assumed that you saw what was new.

fresh_42 said:
This usually happens if you have an open tab of this thread. It updates the page and it is assumed that you saw what was new.

I was just going to post about this, as this is a problem. It's a dangerous assumption. There are two issues:

1) I miss these updates quite often. Especially if I'm helping more than one student at a time. It's embarrassing when someone replies and I completely miss it. I imagine you have to scroll down to see the new reply, but I'm not aware of anything really obvious that tells me there is a new reply.

2) I got used to relying on the red icon. As an end-user you learn these things and it takes time to unlearn them, even if you are explicitly told about the changes.

Likes Tom.G
I too have missed replies and other messages for this reason. Maybe redundancy is better than missing out.

PeroK said:
1) I miss these updates quite often. Especially if I'm helping more than one student at a time. It's embarrassing when someone replies and I completely miss it. I imagine you have to scroll down to see the new reply, but I'm not aware of anything really obvious that tells me there is a new reply.
Alerts are just simple notifications. Once you open the alert list drop down it records everything as read. For thread tracking you should be using https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

Greg Bernhardt said:
Alerts are just simple notifications. Once you open the alert list drop down it records everything as read. For thread tracking you should be using https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

That's not really the point. I got used to the alert system. The big advantage was that it pushed notifications so that I could see them even if wasn't actively online any more. Even if I'm not going to look at new HH threads I like to reply to those I've been helping.

I could just look over at the computer to see whether there was a red alert!

Now, if I'm not careful, I miss alerts and have to proactively refresh pages.

PeroK said:
Now, if I'm not careful, I miss alerts and have to proactively refresh pages.
Are you saying if you get an alert and don't check it during the day, it will disappear?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you saying if you get an alert and don't check it during the day, it will disappear?

No. If I leave a thread open, then I don't get an alert. I'm undecided now whether to get into the habit of closing windows so I get a red alert or some other modus operandi. Like having a "watched threads" window permanently open and refreshing that.

In any case, I need to change the way I operate so I don't miss things.

I guess we can always check the alerts list. Even if you don't get the red dot, the issue is listed there if you click on the bell.

WWGD said:
I guess we can always check the alerts list. Even if you don't get the red dot, the issue is listed there if you click on the bell.

Yes. That's more of less what I'm doing now.

PeroK said:
If I leave a thread open, then I don't get an alert.
So if you have a tab open to a thread, if that thread receives a new reply, you don't get an alert?

PeroK said:
No. If I leave a thread open, then I don't get an alert.
More precisely, you get an alert (at least sometimes) but it's instantly marked read if you still have the thread open. So you don't notice it...

I personally preferred the PF4 behaviour that just flags that there are unread posts if you are typing.

Likes PeroK
I will investigate this. In the meantime, are you guys using push notifications?

<h2>1. What is PF5 and why is it important to report and discuss problems and errors?</h2><p>PF5 stands for "Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss" and it is a process used in scientific research to identify and address issues that may arise during experiments or data analysis. It is important to report and discuss these problems and errors in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of scientific findings.</p><h2>2. What are some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research?</h2><p>Some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research include equipment malfunctions, human error, biased data, and insufficient sample sizes. These can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not addressed and corrected.</p><h2>3. How can reporting and discussing problems and errors improve the quality of scientific research?</h2><p>By reporting and discussing problems and errors, scientists can identify and correct any issues that may affect the accuracy of their research. This can lead to more reliable and valid results, ultimately improving the overall quality of scientific research.</p><h2>4. What is the process for reporting and discussing problems and errors in scientific research?</h2><p>The process for reporting and discussing problems and errors may vary depending on the specific research project and team. However, it typically involves documenting the issue, discussing it with other researchers or colleagues, and implementing a solution or making necessary adjustments to the research methods.</p><h2>5. How can scientists prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research?</h2><p>There are several steps scientists can take to prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research. These include carefully planning and designing experiments, using reliable and calibrated equipment, double-checking data and calculations, and having a thorough understanding of the scientific methods being used.</p>

1. What is PF5 and why is it important to report and discuss problems and errors?

PF5 stands for "Problems & Errors: Report & Discuss" and it is a process used in scientific research to identify and address issues that may arise during experiments or data analysis. It is important to report and discuss these problems and errors in order to maintain the integrity and accuracy of scientific findings.

2. What are some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research?

Some common problems and errors that may occur in scientific research include equipment malfunctions, human error, biased data, and insufficient sample sizes. These can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions if not addressed and corrected.

3. How can reporting and discussing problems and errors improve the quality of scientific research?

By reporting and discussing problems and errors, scientists can identify and correct any issues that may affect the accuracy of their research. This can lead to more reliable and valid results, ultimately improving the overall quality of scientific research.

4. What is the process for reporting and discussing problems and errors in scientific research?

The process for reporting and discussing problems and errors may vary depending on the specific research project and team. However, it typically involves documenting the issue, discussing it with other researchers or colleagues, and implementing a solution or making necessary adjustments to the research methods.

5. How can scientists prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research?

There are several steps scientists can take to prevent problems and errors from occurring in their research. These include carefully planning and designing experiments, using reliable and calibrated equipment, double-checking data and calculations, and having a thorough understanding of the scientific methods being used.