Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PFers on Sports

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1
    In the short time that I've been here, I've noticed that no one has ever started a thread about sports!:confused: I don't know why that's so but I for enjoy both science and sports. I like the balance it puts in my life.

Myself, I lift weights several times a week, do cardio, as well as play various different sports -- all for hobby. I was wondering what everyone in here does for sports? Personally, I'd be really surprised to see other lifters out there.:blushing:

Take it easy,
    Robert

p.s. If you want to read a weight-lifting journal, let me know and I'll start one if there is sufficient interest. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2
    I lift weights and do some cardio, but just to stay in shape, and that's it.

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm by no means a body-builder, but I lift twice a week and ride about 100-150 miles a week on my bike.

As a child, my eyesight kept me from becoming good at most competitive sports, so I took up scuba diving and rock climbing instead. I love being outdoors.

I'm not sure why you think few people here are into physical fitness; do you think we're all just a bunch of fat, socially-outcast nerds who play Risk and drink two liters of Pepsi every day?

- Warren

5. Apr 9, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Dude, you've been here for 4 hours. Do a search...

6. Apr 9, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There are plenty of sports threads buried around here somewhere, including a couple having to do with weight-lifting. JasonRox and Astronuc are the resident body builders.

7. Apr 9, 2006 #6
    FOOTBALL BABY.

(Real football, not American football.)

8. Apr 10, 2006 #7
    Would playing chess, liner algerbra, caclus and programing be consired "sports"?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  9. Apr 10, 2006 #8

Mk

What about competitive computer games? poker?

People post threads regularly about soccer cups.

10. Apr 10, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The search feature hasn't been working lately. :frown:

But, yeah, I was going to reply that Russ and Gokul have both kept us going on football threads during football season. And there have been the biking threads, and the Olympics threads (or was that just making fun of the medals and curling?), and we definitely have a few body builders here, plus others who enjoy weight-lifting, but not for body building.

As for me, I lift, chase and wrestle sheep for exercise. :rolleyes:

11. Apr 10, 2006 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think spanking quacks would also be considered as a sport, no?

Zz.

12. Apr 10, 2006 #11
    Im pretty serious about powerlifting. Not competing yet though because of my lack of grip strenght and because my squat is yet far from my deadlift because of years with a bad knee.

Used to focus on bodybuilding but I have ditched that because I dont have the genetics to get anywhere in that sport.

13. Apr 10, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm signed for a professional Rugby League club over hear in the UK. I usually train six times a week; lifting weights, CV and skill work.

Regards

-Hoot

14. Apr 10, 2006 #13
    tennis and squash (two times a week when i was in college)

Now, i am not in college anymore :)

marlon

15. Apr 10, 2006 #14

Astronuc

Azael was a body builder. I think JasonRox does power lifting, but I think he took a break. I believe Jeff Ford is a power lifter.

I actually do weight-training. I work on strength and endurance.

In addition, I run distance (for endurance) and sprinting (for speed and strength).

I also like outdoors like chroot. I prefer real football (aka soccer) or Aussie rules football to American football.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  16. Apr 10, 2006 #15

dav2008

Gold Member

Maybe if you're linearly transforming a 200 lb. vector.

17. Apr 10, 2006 #16
    Cricket in the summer... some seasons I play rugby in the winter... Rugby outside the 6 nations in Europe is dangeous so I tend not to play now.. The problem is they dont know the rules, and are typically big chaps. Cricket is fun tho ;)

18. Apr 10, 2006 #17
    Any hockey fans here? I don't play anymore, but I loved playing it growing up. I nearly started to develop withdrawal symptoms last year when they went on strike.:biggrin: (wish they had a smilie with a tooth missing)

19. Apr 10, 2006 #18
    I play soccer and do some biking whenever I can, I used to be in a soccer team, well, not anymore,

I'm wondering, why people do weight-lifting?

Thanks,

20. Apr 10, 2006 #19

Astronuc

Different reasons. Some do body-building - bulging muscles. I never cared for that.

The other reason is strength and endurance. Runners (sprinter) and bicycle riders need strong legs for speed and acceleration.

There are many sports that require strength for optimal performance.

During early years of university, I did construction work (structural iron) and we worked with heavy pieces of steel. Having the strength was beneficial.

And having strength that I do has saved me from serious injury, as well as enabling to work with smaller tools in tight places. In one case, another guy and I were removing a heavy motor (300+ lbs / 140 kgs) from a basement, we had to climb up some concrete stairs. We fastened the motor to a metal bar to distribute the weight. It was a narrow staircase, and I was on the down side. Well about 8 ft (2.5 m) up the stairs, the bar collapsed and the motor came back at me. It happened so fast, I could get out of the way, and I ended up cradling the motor in my arms. Either I go down the stairs with the motor - ending up on the floor with a 300 lb motor on my chest or I get it up. I heaved it and got it upstairs - and I pulled a groin muscle and developed a slight inguinal hernia (which I pushed back in myself). The fact that I had strength save me from serious injury or worse, and I saved the motor.

And there were other cases where I saved myself or someone else from falling, simply because I had the strength.

That and I love to play sports like football (soccer) and Tae Kwon Do.

21. Apr 10, 2006 #20

Ba

I do football(soccer), biking, swimming. And rock-climbing during the summer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?