1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ph and buffer solutions help

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1
    Hey I have been having a lot of trouble in solving these problems and I have exams soon and I really dont know where to start, I know u aint meant to give the answers so instead would someone please go through all of the steps to finish this!
    I really need some kinda help, This question was in a quiz and I was so confused as to wat I needa do... I am gonna get help from a lecturer as well but inorder to study it I need some help please.

A buffer solution of pH = 5.30 can be prepared by dissolving acetic acid and sodium acetate in water. How many moles of sodium acetate must be added to 1.0 L of 0.25 M acetic acid to prepare the buffer?
    The answer is meant to be 0.90mol but I have no Idea how to get to that!

Also one more We mix 100 mL of 0.20 M HBr and 50.0 mL of 0.40 M NaC1O. What is the pH of the resulting solution? Ka(HC1O) = 3.5 x 10-8

for this one i Wrote out the equation... and found that the concentration of HClO was 0.1333 or something like that... then I just had no idea where to go from there, I no that pH=pka- log(acid/base) but I just didnt no how to get to that point... I changed Ka(HClO) to pKa by using -log3.5 x 10- 8 but as I sed not sure where to go.

Could anyone please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know how to calculate the acidity consant for buffer solutions?

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3
    do you mean Kw and Kb coz I think so

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I mean Ka perhaps you use different notantion? Anyway, the relationship between Ka and [H+ is given by;

[tex]K_{a} = [H^{+}] \times \frac{[\text{salt}]}{[\text{acid}]}[/tex]

Where Ka is the acidity constant of the acid.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  6. Jun 10, 2006 #5
    I will give it a go... but i wat has me a little stumped is what happens to the pH, I obviously have to use that somewhere dont I?

7. Jun 10, 2006 #6
    wait a second I understand now I think, I will work it all out and if I have a problem I will just post it on this agen, thanks a lot.

8. Jun 10, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll need that to work out the hydrogen ion concentration, you'll also need to look up Ka for acetic acid.

9. Jun 10, 2006 #8
    okay sorry just one more question, I am a little confused... just coz wat will be the [H+], I wrote this, 1.8E-5=[H+] x [salt]/[o.25]

Then after I find the [salt] then I will just use n=c* volume right?
    If you cant give me anymore help thats fine!

10. Jun 10, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks good to me. You need to use you pH value to calculate the [H+], remember that;

[tex]pH = -log[H^{+}] \Leftrightarrow [H^{+}] = 10^{-pH}[/tex]

Yes, you would usually do that, but since the solution is dissolve in one litre, the calculation becomes n = c x 1 and therefore in this case; n = c

Do you follow?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  11. Jun 10, 2006 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

12. Jun 10, 2006 #11
    thanks very much that was heaps helpful and now I understand wat to do, dunno y I didnt think of that at the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?