Is my pH calculation for a solution of HCl and NaOH accurate?

• Thread starter Mathman23
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the pH value for a solution containing 100 mL of 0.102 M HCl and 100 mL of 0.0780 M NaOH. The number of moles of H3O+ is calculated and found to be 0.018 mol, resulting in a concentration of 0.09 mol/L. Using the formula pH = -log[H+], the pH of the solution is determined to be 1.05. The conversation then discusses the accuracy of the calculation and the reaction between HCl and NaOH, concluding that the resulting products are Na+ and Cl- ions.
Mathman23
I have calculated the PH-value for this following solution:

100 mL 0,102 M HCL and 100 mL 0,0780 M NaOH.

To calculate the pH in the this solution first I must calculate the number of moles [itex]n_{[H_3O^+]}[/itex].

[itex]n_{[H_3 O^{+}]} = 0,100 L \cdot 0,0102 \ mol/L + 0,100 L \cdot 0,0780 mol/L = 0,018 mol[/itex]

This means that [itex][H_3 O^{+}] = \frac{0,018 mol}{0,200 L} = 0,09 mol/L[/itex]

pH for the solution is then [itex]pH = \textrm{-log}(0,09) = 1,05[/itex]

I would appreciate if somebody would look at my calculation and then tell me if its accurate ??

Many thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Fred

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HCl+NaOH------> NaCl(aq) + H2O

you need 1 mole of NaOH to neutralize 1 mole of HCl according to the balanced equation.

So you have .102 M HCl which means you have .102 moles HCl/ 1 L of solution so if you have 100 mL of .102 M HCL you have .102 moles HCl/1 L soln x 1L soln/1000mL x 100mL= .0102 moles of HCl. Doing the same thing for NaOH, you have .0078 moles of NaOH. Since NaOH and HCl react in a 1:1 ratio you can obviously see that NaOH is the limiting reagent. Thus .0102moles HCl-.0078 moles HCl =.0024 moles of HCl left. Now I am assuming that you are supposed to assume that 100 mL of HCl+100mL of NaOH=200 mL solution to make things easier, but in reality volumes don't add. Anyway assuming that they do, you have .0024 moles HCl/200mL solution x 1000mL/1L =.012 M HCl so pH=-log[H+]=-log[.012]=1.92

Also, HCl is a strong acid so it will dissociate completely

Last edited:
HCl + NaOH --> Na+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O

Na and Cl won't react and form NaCl because the corresponding base of a strong acid is weak and the corresponding acid of a base is also weak, so the formula for those who react is:

H+ + OH- --> H20

Thats why I wrote NaCl (aq). That implies that the Na and Cl split apart into ions.

1. What is pH and how is it calculated?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is calculated by taking the negative logarithm of the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. What is the pH scale and what are its values?

The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being considered neutral. Solutions with a pH less than 7 are acidic, while solutions with a pH greater than 7 are basic.

3. How do you calculate the pH of a strong acid or base solution?

To calculate the pH of a strong acid or base solution, you can use the formula: pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. For strong acids, [H+] is equal to the concentration of the acid, while for strong bases, [H+] is equal to the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-).

4. What is the difference between strong and weak acids/bases?

Strong acids and bases completely dissociate in water, meaning all of their molecules break apart into ions. Weak acids and bases, on the other hand, only partially dissociate, resulting in a lower concentration of ions in the solution.

5. What is the relationship between pH and pOH?

pH and pOH are inversely related. The sum of pH and pOH is always equal to 14. As the pH of a solution increases, the pOH decreases, and vice versa.