1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH calculation

1. Jun 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate the formate ion concentration and pH of a solution that is 0.05m in formic acid (HCOOH;Ka=1.8x10^-4) and 0.10M in HNO3.

hey guys just wondering how the equation goes??

like this?? HCOOH + HNO3>>???

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Would knowing that nearly all of the hydronium ion concentration is from the nitric acid help you?

4. Jun 11, 2009 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation you need is the equation for Ka. Try that one first...

5. Jun 11, 2009 #4
    when i tried doing the Ka i get x/(0.05*0.1)=1.8e-4 therefore x=3.6e-4 however when i -log3.6e-4 i get a ph of 3.44, however the answer is a pH of 1?? thanks for the replys

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  6. Jun 11, 2009 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Nitric Acid is a strong acid; this means that its ions completely dissociate in water solution. You essentially have a solution which has 0.10 M in hydronium ion. What would be the pH of just that? How would 0.10 M hydronium affect the dissociation of the formic acid?

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6
    does that mean just make the dissocation equation just with HNO3. well this is what i did. HNO3>NO3 + H therefore equation equals. [H][NO3]/[HNO3]=1.8e-4 therefore solving this x^2/0.1=1.8e-4 therefore i get a ph of 2.37???? thansk for replying

8. Jun 12, 2009 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You are misapplying your information. Nitric acid is a strong acid. Formic acid is the weak acid. The concentration of nitric acid is high enough that it may push the dissociation of formic acid to the left in regard to HCHO <------> H+ + CHO-

9. Jun 12, 2009 #8
    i am confused haha, could u show me ur working for the dissocaition working please, if it is a weak acid isnt thats y the give the ka value for it. so does this just mean i used the dissociation expression for HCOOH and just used -log for HNO3? thansk

10. Jun 12, 2009 #9
    wow i think it just clicked, since HCOOH is weak, can we ignored it and just use the concentration of NO3 because its strong. because that works out. if that is right u just saved me so much time. thanksss heaps

11. Jun 12, 2009 #10

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Fine! This indicates some good progress.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook