1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of 6,0*10^-4 M NaNO2 solution

1. Nov 28, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's all in the title. Correct answer: pH = 7,20. [itex]K_a (HNO_2) = 4,0 \cdot 10^{-4}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]K_b = \dfrac{K_w}{K_a}[/tex]
    [tex]K_b = \dfrac{HB^+ \cdot OH^-}{B}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

NaNO2 fully dissolves in water giving [itex]6,0 \cdot 10^{-4} M \, NO2^-[/itex]. Now water forms an equilibrium with NO2- as it gives H+ to NO2-:

[tex]NO_2 ^- + H_2 O \leftrightharpoons HNO_2 + OH^-[/tex]

[tex]
    \begin{bmatrix}
    c & NO_2^- & HNO_2 & OH^-\\
    \hline
    At \, start & 6 \cdot 10^{-4} & 0 & 0 \\
    At \, equilibrium & 6 \cdot 10^{-4}-x & x & x
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

Now

[itex]K_b = \dfrac{x^2}{6 \cdot 10^{-4}-x} \leftrightarrow x^2 + K_b x - 6K_b \cdot 10^{-4} = 0 \\

\rightarrow x = \dfrac{-K_b \stackrel{+}{(-)} \sqrt{(K_b)^2 - 4(1)(-6K_b \cdot 10^{-4})}}{2}
    = 1,22462 \cdot 10^{-7} = [HO^-]\\

\rightarrow pH = 14 - pOH = 14 + lg[OH^-] = 7,088
    [/itex]

This is not the correct answer (7,20). What am I missing? Water? I only know the iterative process for determining the correct [H+] for low concentrations H+ (when water has an effect on the result as Zumdahl describes it), not OH-.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Looks like it is one of these cases where water autodissociation can't be ignored. 7.20 is an answer I got for an exact solution (done with BATE, pH calculator), 7.09 is what the ICE table produces.

In general this requires solving a 3rd degree polynomial.

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3
    Ok, now I'm baffled, since unless the polynomial is in product form (=0) I don't think I know how to solve such a thing. So the formula [tex]K_a = \dfrac{[H^+]^2 - K_w}{[HA]_0 - \dfrac{[H^+]^2 - K_w}{[H^+]}}[/tex] isn't going to help me here? What I thought of doing is finding out the [H+] from the calculated pH and using the above formula, but it would require knowing [itex] [HA]_0 [/itex], meaning the amount of acid put into the solution before it dissociated. Sadly that is information I don't have (and there was no acid to begin with, just a salt of an acid).

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 29, 2015 #5
    Turns out it was much simpler and I didn't have to go beyond what the book teaches. I tried the iteration process to find out [OH-], but with Kb, [ B ]0 and [OH-] instead of the values used in the formula for acids in the book as follows

[tex] K_b = \dfrac{[OH^-]^2 - K_w}{[ B ]_0 - \dfrac{[OH^-]_0^2 - K_w}{[OH^-]_0}} [/tex]

, and got the right answer. I suppose I could have derived the formula for bases myself by applying mass-, charge- and other conservation laws, just like the iteration formula for acids([H+]) was derived. Still, this conversation helped my thinking, so thanks for that.

7. Nov 29, 2015 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm getting pH 7.2 as near as makes no difference., with a square rooting but no polynomial equations

[OH-] - [H+] = [Na+] - [NO2-] = [HNO2] = [H+][NO2-] /Ka

I then make the approximation [NO2-] = [Na+] which, since we have salt of strong base and weak acid and we must be above pH 7 is good to better than 1/1000, and thence get, as the numbers happen to be easy

[HNO2] = (3/2) [H+]]

and thence from first line

(5/2) [H+] = [OH-]

and thence via the Kw equation [H+] = 0.4×10-7 and square-rooting etc. finally pH = 7.1989 insignificantly different from 7.2.

I hope you can see these are fairly natural steps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted