Titration of Sulfurous Acid: Calculating pH with Ka Values

In summary, the pH of a 0.551 L solution of 1.37 M sulfurous acid (Ka1 = 1.5e-2 and Ka2 = 1.0e-7) titrated with 1.65 M NaOH and 0.7549 L of NaOH added will be approximately 7.27. This is calculated by assuming the first proton is completely neutralized before the neutralization of the second starts, and using the stoichiometric neutralization of the second proton to find the pH from the ratio of A2- and HA- concentrations.
davev

Homework Statement

A 0.551 L solution of 1.37 M sulfurous acid (Ka1 = 1.5e-2 and Ka2 = 1.0e-7) is titrated with 1.65 M NaOH. What will the pH of the solution be when 0.7549 L of the NaOH has been added? The answer is 7.27.

Homework Equations

-log(H+)=pH
pH = pKa + log(salt/acid)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the moles of the weak acid and strong base. After neutralization the strong base is left over. I find the concentration of the remaining moles of base. Then use -log(OH)=pOH. Then 14-pOH = pH. I keep getting 13.95. This is wrong, and I don't know how to get the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
davev said:

Homework Statement

A 0.551 L solution of 1.37 M sulfurous acid (Ka1 = 1.5e-2 and Ka2 = 1.0e-7) is titrated with 1.65 M NaOH. What will the pH of the solution be when 0.7549 L of the NaOH has been added? The answer is 7.27.

Homework Equations

-log(H+)=pH
pH = pKa + log(salt/acid)

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the moles of the weak acid and strong base. After neutralization the strong base is left over. I find the concentration of the remaining moles of base. Then use -log(OH)=pOH. Then 14-pOH = pH. I keep getting 13.95. This is wrong, and I don't know how to get the right answer.

We'd really have to guess from the (lack of) information you give of your calculations. However my guess is you haven't taken account of the fact the acid is dibasic.

Anyway you are treating it like a stoichiometric calculation. It isn't, it's a calculation of an equilibrium, more exactly a pH-equilibrium, subject of the largest number of problems in this section of this site. You haven't used the relevant equation which you quote.

If there is no mistake in the question and given answer, since the pH is just above the pKa2 of 7, the number of moles of base added should be just over about 3/2 × moles of suphurous acid - the first deprotonation essentially complete and you have a bit less than half HSO3- and a bit over half SO32-. This question is really just about the equilibrium between those two species and H+ .

Last edited:
epenguin said:
We'd really have to guess from the (lack of) information you give of your calculations. However my guess is you haven't taken account of the fact the acid is dibasic.

Anyway you are treating it like a stoichiometric calculation. It isn't, it's a calculation of an equilibrium, more exactly a pH-equilibrium, subject of the largest number of problems in this section of this site. You haven't used the relevant equation which you quote.

If there is no mistake in the question and given answer, since the pH is just above the pKa2 of 7, the number of moles of base added should be just over about 3/2 × moles of suphurous acid - the first deprotonation essentially complete and you have a bit less than half HSO3- and a bit over half SO32-. This question is really just about the equilibrium between those two species and H+ .

How do I solve this problem in a way that would make sense given what I know at an introductory college chemistry level? Sorry, I just don't understand how to incorporate multiple Ka values even with the equation listed.

The difference between pKa values is so large (>3) you can safely assume first proton was completely neutralized before the neutralization of the second started. Then assume the neutralization of the second proton was stoichiometric, and use this information to find pH from the ratio of A2- and HA- concentrations.

What is the significance of the pH value in titration?

The pH value in titration is used to determine the acidity or basicity of a solution. It helps in identifying the endpoint of the titration and calculating the concentration of the unknown solution.

How is the pH value measured in titration?

The pH value is measured using a pH meter or indicator solution. The pH meter measures the potential difference between the solution and a reference electrode, while the indicator solution changes color at a specific pH value.

Why is the pH value of 7.27 significant in titration?

A pH value of 7.27 indicates that the solution is slightly acidic. This is important because it helps in determining the amount of acid or base needed to reach the neutralization point in the titration.

How does the pH value change during titration?

The pH value typically changes during titration as different amounts of acid or base are added to the solution. It starts at a certain initial pH and gradually decreases or increases until it reaches the endpoint, where it levels off at a specific pH value.

How can the accuracy of the pH value in titration be improved?

The accuracy of the pH value in titration can be improved by using a calibrated pH meter, making sure the electrodes are clean, and performing multiple trials to reduce errors. Additionally, using a more precise indicator solution or titrating in smaller increments can also increase accuracy.