Solved: Calculate pH of Aqueous Solution w/ HBr(g)

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the pH of an aqueous solution prepared by adding 3.0L of HBr gas to water to give a 0.10L solution. The correct answer is -0.08 and it is possible to have negative pH. The number of moles of HBr is 0.13 and using the formula pH = -log[H+], the pH can be calculated to be slightly less than 0.1.
ff_yy
[Solved] pH of Aqueous Solution

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH of the following aqueous solution prepared by adding 3.0L HBr(g), measured at 27 degrees Celsius, 757 mmHg pressure, to sufficient water to give 0.10L of solution.

Homework Equations

pH = -log[H+]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to handle a question with gas? Is there another equation I'm supposed to use? The answer says -0.08, which doesn't seem to make sense...

I tried to do this question by first writing the equation
HBr(g) + H20(l) --> Br- + H30+
I found the number of moles of HBr gas to be 37.07...mol, and this is where my understanding fails me and I have no idea what to do. I even tried using n=cv which didn't work...

Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible to have negative pH. Just look at the formula for pH you have written.

If you have 37.07 mol of HBr, dissolved in water, how much H+ do you have?

I'm not going to do the math for you but your answer for moles of HBr is waaaaay too high. Remember that under STP, an ideal gas has but one mole for every 23 L! You are only 2 degrees and 3 mm Hg away from that. Thus, a rough estimate of the number of moles is 3/23 or about 0.13 moles of HBr. In 0.1 liter that would be less than pH 0.1 but not much less.

ok thanks, i think i got it...

1. What is the formula for calculating pH of an aqueous solution with HBr(g)?

The formula for calculating pH is pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. How do I determine the concentration of HBr in the solution?

The concentration of HBr can be determined using the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT. By rearranging the equation to solve for n (moles of HBr), and then dividing by the volume of the solution, you can find the concentration.

3. Can I use this formula for any concentration of HBr?

Yes, the formula can be used for any concentration of HBr, as long as the concentration is given in moles per liter (M). If it is given in a different unit, such as grams per liter, you will need to convert it to moles per liter before using the formula.

4. Is there a specific unit for pH?

pH is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no unit. It is simply a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution on a scale from 0 to 14.

5. How do I interpret the pH value I get from the calculation?

A pH value less than 7 indicates an acidic solution, a pH of 7 indicates a neutral solution, and a pH greater than 7 indicates a basic solution. The lower the pH value, the more acidic the solution, and the higher the pH value, the more basic the solution.