1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of H3PO4 mixed with NaOH

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the pH of the resulting solution when 100.0 mL of 0.10 M H3PO4 is mixed with 200.0 mL of 0.15 M NaOH?

2. Relevant equations

Henderson-Hasselbalch, equilibrium constant expressions

3. The attempt at a solution

I've thought about this question for over an hour, yet I have still gotten nowhere. I eventually came to the conclusion that the excess number of moles of OH- will dominate. Based on this conclusion, I calculated a pH of 12.82. However, this answer was marked wrong.

Can anyone lend some insight into this situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Calculate the number of equivalents of H+ that can be produced by 100 mL of 0.1 M H3PO4. Calculate the number of moles of OH- in 200 mL of 0.15 M NaOH.

The reaction is:

H+ + OH- -------> H2O

It looks like the same question as "What is the pH of a solution of 0.01 moles Na3PO4 in 300 mL water?"

4. Apr 12, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply. If you don't mind, could you look over what I have done and see if I am even close to the right track?

[​IMG]

I don't know. I still think this is wrong. I just don't know what to do...haha.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  5. Apr 12, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase my original post. How many potential moles of protons can be generated by 0.100 L of of 0.1 moles/liter of H3PO4? Compare this to the number of available moles of OH-.

After that, consider answering the question, "What is the pH of a solution of 0.01 moles Na3PO4 in 300 mL water?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?