PH of Mixed Solution with 0.1M KOH and 0.1M HNO2

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed Ph
In summary, a 0.1 M solution of KOH is mixed with a 0.1 M solution of HNO2, producing KNO2 and H2O. The Ka value of HNO2 is given as 5 x 10^-4, but it is not relevant in this reaction. The ionization reaction of KNO2 produces both NO2- and HNO2, making the calculation of pH complicated. However, by making simplifying assumptions and using relevant equations such as mass conservation and electroneutrality, the pH can be determined.
terryds

Homework Statement

500 mL KOH solution (0.1 M) is mixed with 500 mL HNO2 (0.1 M) so that the reaction becomes:
##KOH + HNO_2 \rightarrow KNO_2+H_2O##

If Ka of HNO2 is ##5 \times 10^{-4}##, determine the pH of the solution

2. The attempt at a solution

Both KOH and HNO2 are in the same number of moles, which is 0.5 * 0.1 = 0.05 mol
So, the product (KNO2) is also 0.05 mol due to the same coefficient

And, the ionization reaction of KNO2 is
##KNO_2 \rightarrow K^+ + NO_2^-##

NO2 is also 0.05 mol due to same coefficient.

But, how to determine the pH??
I don't see how to get H+ or OH- into the reaction so I'll be able to calculate the pH...
I don't understand what the Ka of HNO2 matters since KOH and HNO2 has fully react becoming KNO2 and H2O (In other words, there are no more KOH and HNO2)

Physics news on Phys.org
NO2- + H2O ↔ HNO2 + OH-

Borek said:
NO2- + H2O ↔ HNO2 + OH-

Aha!
But, I have no idea about the Kb of NO2-

Ka×Kb = ...

Borek said:
Ka×Kb = ...

Ka×Kb = 10-14

But, I also don't know the Ka of NO2-
Is it the same as Ka of HNO2? How come it be the same?

Ka is a property of HNO2, not of NO2-. It is the ACID dissociation constant and it is HNO2 that is an acid.

Both KOH and HNO2 are in the same number of moles, which is 0.5 * 0.1 = 0.05 mol

Kind of confusing yourself with words and formulae here. You've got a solution of what we call potassium nitrite (0.05 molar). And what is that physically? Solution of salt of a strong base and weak acid. So 0.05 M K+ which just stays that, and then you would have exactly the same concentration of nitrite ions except some of them get protonated so you have got both NO2- and HNO2

Sorry to me that doesn't mean anything I think we can forget it.

I don't see how to get H+ or OH- into the reaction so I'll be able to calculate the pH...
I don't understand what the Ka of HNO2 matters since KOH and HNO2 has fully react becoming KNO2 and H2O (In other words, there are no more KOH and HNO2)

You have omitted the usual "relevant equations" of the template and these are needed to be able to solve the problem.

These equations are always the same in all these pH problems:

Mass conservation equations
. Electroneutrality equation.. Just one.
Equilibrium equations. I'll tell you - the equation for acid dissociation and the equation for water dissociation.

These will need to be used, but probably how to proceed will look complicated to you. What to have to do, and this happens more often than not, is to make some simplifying assumption or approximation. In what pH zone do you expect a salt of a weak acid and strong base to be? Can that reduce the complication?

epenguin said:

Kind of confusing yourself with words and formulae here. You've got a solution of what we call potassium nitrite (0.05 molar). And what is that physically? Solution of salt of a strong base and weak acid. So 0.05 M K+ which just stays that, and then you would have exactly the same concentration of nitrite ions except some of them get protonated so you have got both NO2- and HNO2

You have omitted the usual "relevant equations" of the template and these are needed to be able to solve the problem.

Equilibrium equations. I'll tell you - the equation for acid dissociation and the equation for water dissociation.

These will need to be used, but probably how to proceed will look complicated to you. What to have to do, and this happens more often than not, is to make some simplifying assumption or approximation. In what pH zone do you
Borek said:
Ka is a property of HNO2, not of NO2-. It is the ACID dissociation constant and it is HNO2 that is an acid.

epenguin said:

These will need to be used, but probably how to proceed will look complicated to you. What to have to do, and this happens more often than not, is to make some simplifying assumption or approximation. In what pH zone do you expect a salt of a weak acid and strong base to be? Can that reduce the complication?
expect a salt of a weak acid and strong base to be? Can that reduce the complication?

NO2- + H2O ↔ HNO2 + OH-
Kb HNO2 = [HNO2][OH-] / [NO2-]
Kw/Ka = [HNO2][OH-] / [NO2-]
10-10 / 5 = [HNO2][OH-] / [NO2-]

[NO2-] = 0.05 mol / 1 L = 0.05 M
But, what about [HNO2] ??

terryds said:
Kb HNO2 = [HNO2][OH-] / [NO2-]

This is not Kb of HNO2, this is Kb of NO2-. Ka×Kb=Kw combines dissociation constants of an acid and its conjugate base. Can you name the acid and its conjugate base here?

terryds said:
But, what about [HNO2] ??

Do you know what an ICE table is? That's the best approach to this kind of problems. Concentrations of all substances involved in the equilibrium are connected by the reaction stoichiometry and the ICE table is a nice way of keeping track of it. It won't work for very diluted solutions (then the only correct approach is the one signaled by epenguin) but 0.05M is quite safe.

Look back to my post and you will see and you will see that [NO2-] is not exactly 0 .05 M but something else is.

You ask what about [HNO2]? You have written equilibrium equations that involve it, but these are not sufficient, you need to write those other equations I mentioned.

(Even in pH calculations people have different styles. I never remember what an ICE table is from one time to another, but it is probably a equivalent to what I'm suggesting. Actually I manage perfectly well with never using Kb's. My way.)

Borek said:
This is not Kb of HNO2, this is Kb of NO2-. Ka×Kb=Kw combines dissociation constants of an acid and its conjugate base. Can you name the acid and its conjugate base here?
Do you know what an ICE table is? That's the best approach to this kind of problems. Concentrations of all substances involved in the equilibrium are connected by the reaction stoichiometry and the ICE table is a nice way of keeping track of it. It won't work for very diluted solutions (then the only correct approach is the one signaled by epenguin) but 0.05M is quite safe.
The acid is HNO2 and the conjugate base is NO2-
Ka of acid * Kb of conjugate base is 10^-14
So, Kb of the conjugate base (NO2-) is 10^(-14) / (5 * 10^-4) = 10^(-10) / 5 , right??

epenguin said:
Look back to my post and you will see and you will see that [NO2-] is not exactly 0 .05 M but something else is.

You ask what about [HNO2]? You have written equilibrium equations that involve it, but these are not sufficient, you need to write those other equations I mentioned.

(Even in pH calculations people have different styles. I never remember what an ICE table is from one time to another, but it is probably a equivalent to what I'm suggesting. Actually I manage perfectly well with never using Kb's. My way.)

Yeah, NO2- is not 0.05 mol
This is the ICE table of KNO2 ionization reaction

2889w82.jpg

Then, how to know the [NO2-] since Kc is unknown??

It really makes me confused now

terryds said:
So, Kb of the conjugate base (NO2-) is 10^(-14) / (5 * 10^-4) = 10^(-10) / 5 , right??

Yes.

terryds said:
This is the ICE table of KNO2 ionization reaction

It is not KNO2 that you have to deal with, but just NO2-. We assume KNO2 to be fully dissociated, and we are interested only in the reaction I put in my very first post in this thread.

Likes terryds
Borek said:
Yes.

It is not KNO2 that you have to deal with, but just NO2-. We assume KNO2 to be fully dissociated, and we are interested only in the reaction I put in my very first post in this thread.

e9f1q8.png

I omitted the H2O in the ICE table since it's not used in the Kb
In the equilibrium, the concentration of NO2- is (0.05 mol - x)/ 1 L = ( 0.05 -x ) M

##K_b = \frac{[HNO_2][OH^-]}{[NO_2^-]}##
##\frac{10^{-10}}{5}=\frac{x^2}{5*10^{-2}-x}##

Since x is very small, I neglect it so [NO2-] ≈ 0.05 M
##\frac{10^{-10}}{5}=\frac{x^2}{5*10^{-2}}##
##x = \sqrt{5*10^{-2}*\frac{10^{-10}}{5}}##
##x = 10^{-6}##

[OH-] = x = 10^-6
pOH = - log [OH-] = 6
pH = 14 - 6 = 8

Thanks for your help

As far as I understand your ICE table you have written [K+] as something unknown. This is something you do know at all times as I explained in #7.

Likes terryds
terryds said:
Since x is very small, I neglect it so [NO2-] ≈ 0.05 M

While this is a common thing to do it is always wise to check - after finishing calculations - whether the assumption that x is very small was a correct one. Rule of thumb says if x is lower than 5% of the original concentration it is OK to neglect it.

Likes terryds
Our posts crossed. Your solution is fine, congratulations!

In my way, if you write out the equations I said, and, seeing that the solution will be basic, make of the approximation [H+]] = 0 you find, as you did that
[HNO3] ≈ [OH-].
Then if I just write it out the usual expression for Ka, use the above results, the expression for Kw, and the same approximation as you I get the same result.

Likes terryds

1. What is the formula for calculating the pH of a mixed solution?

The formula for calculating the pH of a mixed solution is -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.

2. How do you calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions in a mixed solution?

The concentration of hydrogen ions can be calculated by multiplying the molarity of the acid by its ionization constant, and then dividing by the molarity of the base.

3. What is the relationship between pH and the concentration of hydrogen ions in a mixed solution?

pH and the concentration of hydrogen ions have an inverse relationship, meaning that as the concentration of hydrogen ions increases, the pH decreases, and vice versa.

4. How do you determine the pH of a mixed solution with 0.1M KOH and 0.1M HNO2?

To determine the pH of a mixed solution with 0.1M KOH and 0.1M HNO2, you would first calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions using the formula mentioned in question 2. Then, you would use this value to calculate the pH using the formula mentioned in question 1.

5. What is the significance of calculating the pH of a mixed solution?

Calculating the pH of a mixed solution is important because it helps determine the level of acidity or basicity of the solution. This information is crucial in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science, as it can impact the reactions and behavior of substances in the solution.