1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of solution

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] pH of solution

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the pH of a solution in which 30.0mL of 0.010 M NaOH are added to 10.0mL of .010 M H2SO4?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So first thing I did was write the equation.

2NaOH + H2SO4 ----> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

I never used this equation after this which makes me think I already messed up. I perform the following:

.03L(.010M) = 3*10^-4 mol NaOH
    .01L(.010M) = 1*10^-4 mol H2SO4

I then compute concentration of H2SO4 by: 1*10^-4/.01L = .01
    pH = -log(.01) = 2.0 pH
    I suspect I am missing something here. Any pointers?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2
    Everything looks good until the last calculation. It's a strong acid mixed with strong base, so the moles of each will neutralize each other until one runs out. You will then be left with an excess acid or base. However, the concentration of this acid or base is now more dilute because you now have added the solutions together, which adds their respective volumes together. Now you can figure out how this affects the last step. The excess H2SO4 concentration is the number of excess moles divided by total volume, not just by its initial volume.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?