1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH of weak acid/weak base salts

1. Jul 25, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to show my students that [itex]CaCO_3[/itex] is basic.
    [itex]Ca^2^+[/itex] comes from [itex]Ca(OH)_2[/itex], which is a weak base due to it's low solubility. [itex]CO_3^2^-[/itex] comes from the weak acid [itex]HCO_3^-[/itex]. To compare the two we compare:

1) [itex]Ca^2^+ + H_2O --> Ca(OH)_2 + H_3O^+[/itex]

and

2) [itex]CO_3^2^- + H_2O --> HCO_3^- + OH^-[/itex]

We want to compare the K values. It is clear that equation 2 will have a significantly larger K value and the solution will be basic, but where can a person find a K value for something like equation 1?
    Are there charts for the Ka of metal ions?
    What order of magnitude is it? I imagine Ka for 1 is <<< Kw

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think equation 1 will occur appreciably, calcium hydroxide is fairly soluble in water so you can reasonably neglect it; thus calcium is a spectator ion (solubility of calcium hydroxide is .18g/100mL).

4. Jul 25, 2005 #3
    The first reaction isn't even correct and frankly I don't know why you think that a strong base like calciumhydroxide would create an acidic particle like [tex]H3O^+[/tex].

This reaction would occur:
    [tex]Ca(H_2O)_6^{2+}(aq)+H_2O(l) \rightleftharpoons CaOH(H_2O)_5^+(aq)+H_3O^+(aq)[/tex] Which explains why a solution of [tex]CaCl_2[/tex] is acidic.

The second reaction is also incorrect since it's an equilibrium:
    [tex]CO_3^{2-}(aq) + H_2O(l) \rightleftharpoons HCO_3^-(aq) + OH^-(aq)[/tex]

5. Jul 25, 2005 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

[tex]Ca(OH)_2[/tex]
    pKb1 = 2.43
    pKb2 = 1.40
    (http://ifs.massey.ac.nz/resources/chemistry/dissociation/inorgbases.htm)

[tex]H_2CO_3[/tex]
    pKa1 = 6.37
    pKa2 = 10.25

[tex]CaCO_3[/tex]
    pKso = 8.3

So the concentration of saturated [tex]CaCO_3[/tex] solution is [tex]7.1\cdot10^{-5}[/tex]

pH calculated using BATE is 9.73.

(see http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-salt-solution for general approach to pH calculation of salt solution).

In fact final pH will be different, as you should take into account increased solubility of [tex]CaCO_3[/tex] (due to [tex]Ca^{2+}[/tex] and [tex]CO_3^{2-}[/tex] hydrolysis - although the first can be neglected, as [tex]Ca^{2+}[/tex] is dominant at 99.9% of total calcium concentration).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?