Calculating pH of a 0.23M H2SO4 Solution

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, to calculate the pH of a solution with a concentration of 0.23 mol/L of H2SO4 that completely ionizes, first determine the number of hydronium ions produced (in this case, two). Then, find the concentration of hydronium ions by multiplying the concentration of H2SO4 by the number of ions produced. Finally, use the equation pH = -log[H3O] to find the pH, which in this case is 0.34.
temaire

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH of a solution of a concentration of 0.23 mol/L of H2SO4, if it completely ionizes in the solution.

Homework Equations

[H3O] = 10[tex]^{-pH}[/tex]
pH = -log[H3O]

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I got for this question is 0.34. I got this answer by first writing out the ionization equation for H2SO4, and determining how many hydronium ions are made, which I got as two. Then, I found out the concentration of the hydronium ions by multiplying 0.23 mol/L by 2. Then, I used pH = -log[H3O], and got the answer of 0.34. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your described method is good. You are looking for the negative logarithm of 0.46 Molar.

I would like to commend you on your approach to solving this problem. Your use of the ionization equation and the relationship between concentration and pH is correct. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculation for the concentration of hydronium ions. While it is true that two hydronium ions are produced from one molecule of H2SO4, the concentration of hydronium ions should be twice the concentration of the acid, not multiplied by 2. So, the correct concentration of hydronium ions in this case would be 0.46 mol/L. Plugging this value into the pH equation, we get a pH of 0.34, which matches your answer. Therefore, your approach and solution are both correct. Well done!

1. What is the formula for calculating pH of a 0.23M H2SO4 solution?

The formula for calculating pH of a solution is: pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter.

2. How do you calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions in a 0.23M H2SO4 solution?

To calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions, you can use the molarity (M) of the solution and the stoichiometric coefficients of the acid. In this case, since H2SO4 is a diprotic acid, the concentration of hydrogen ions is twice the molarity of the solution.

3. Are there any other factors that can affect the pH of a 0.23M H2SO4 solution?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the pH of a solution, including temperature, ionic strength, and the presence of other ions or molecules that can react with the hydrogen ions.

4. How can I check the accuracy of my calculated pH value for a 0.23M H2SO4 solution?

To check the accuracy of your calculated pH value, you can use a pH meter or pH paper to measure the pH of the solution directly. You can also compare your calculated pH value to the expected pH value based on the acid dissociation constant (Ka) of H2SO4.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating the pH of a 0.23M H2SO4 solution?

Sure, for a 0.23M H2SO4 solution, the concentration of hydrogen ions would be 2 x 0.23M = 0.46M. Plugging this value into the pH formula, we get pH = -log(0.46) = 0.34. Therefore, the pH of a 0.23M H2SO4 solution is approximately 0.34.