Uncovering Citric Acid's Chemical Composition and pH

In summary: H/Lemon juice.phpNo, because it varies, depending on the fruit ripeness. That's what the first commercially available pH meter (Beckman's Model G) was made for - to help assess lemon ripeness.
rainbow-chick
[SOLVED] pH question...

i'm writing a research paper on the organic medicinal massage oils. i need to know the chemical composition of citric acid and it's pH. can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
rainbow-chick said:
i'm writing a research paper on the organic medicinal massage oils. i need to know the chemical composition of citric acid and it's pH. can anyone help me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid

CS

There is no such thing as "pH of an acid". However, there is such thing as "pH of solution of the acid of known concentration". If you don't know concentration you can't say anything about pH. At best you may list dissociation constants.

&

what i was really looking for was the pH of lemon juice i read somewhere that lemon juice was pure citric acid...?? sounds stupid now that i think about. sorry and thank you for your help!

rainbow-chick said:
what i was really looking for was the pH of lemon juice i read somewhere that lemon juice was pure citric acid...?? sounds stupid now that i think about. sorry and thank you for your help!

"Pure citric acid" ---- nonsense since citric acid itself is a solid. Lemon juice is a liquid, a solution which contains a few solutes including citric acid. (Condition assumed, room temperature. ) Good thinking on your next thought shown from your message.

symbolipoint said:
"Pure citric acid" ---- nonsense since citric acid itself is a solid. Lemon juice is a liquid, a solution which contains a few solutes including citric acid. (Condition assumed, room temperature. ) Good thinking on your next thought shown from your message.

well can anyone tell me the pH of lemon juice?

rainbow-chick said:

Taken from Wikipedia (might want to double check credibility):

"Lemon juice is about 5% (approximately .030 moles/Liter) citric acid, which gives lemons a tart taste, and a pH of 2 to 3."

rainbow-chick said:

No, because it varies, depending on the fruit ripeness. That's what the first commercially available pH meter (Beckman's Model G) was made for - to help assess lemon ripeness.

www.ph-meter.info

1. What is citric acid?

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found naturally in citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, and oranges. It is also produced artificially through a fermentation process using certain strains of mold.

2. What is the chemical formula for citric acid?

The chemical formula for citric acid is C6H8O7. This means that it contains 6 carbon atoms, 8 hydrogen atoms, and 7 oxygen atoms.

3. How is citric acid's chemical composition determined?

Citric acid's chemical composition is determined through various chemical analyses, such as chromatography and spectroscopy. These techniques help identify the specific elements and their ratios present in the compound.

4. What is the pH of citric acid?

The pH of citric acid is approximately 2.2, making it an acidic substance. This is due to its ability to release hydrogen ions in water, resulting in a low pH value.

5. What are the common uses of citric acid?

Citric acid has a wide range of uses, including as a flavoring agent in food and beverages, a preservative in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, and a cleaning agent in household products. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of detergents and as a pH adjuster in water treatment.