1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PH-rate profile minimum?

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The rate of degradation of a drug D that is subject to hydrolysis is given by the first order equation rate=kobs (D) where Kobs= Kh (H+) + Ko= Koh (OH-) Derive an equation for the pH at the minimum (pH)min of the pH/rate profile.

3. The attempt at a solution

From elementary calculus, I know that I need to first differentiate the rate equation, then find the roots of the differentiated equation. Take a second differentiation of the equation, put the roots into it and see whether it gives a positive or a negative value. The positive value gives you the (pH)min.
    However...I'm not too sure how to do that with this sort of equation??

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, since this is not a chemistry or biology forum, you will need to tells us how the functions Kobs= Kh (H+) + Ko= Koh (OH-) are defined! It's been a long time since i took any chemistry.
  4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    Kobs= observed rate of reaction
    Kh is the concentration of [H+]
    Koh is the concentration of [OH-]
    ko is the constant.

Rearrange..... k=[H]+ko-[OH-]

pH=pKa + log [unionized/ionized] where ionized= [OH-] and/or[H+] and ionized [H20]

Hope this helps....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?