What is the pH of NaOH & H2SO4 Mixture?

• Thread starter PhysicBeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph Scale
In summary, the pH of the resulting solution will be 13.2 if you start with a solution with a pOH of less than 1 and a starting pH of approximately 13.2.
PhysicBeginner
Hi everyone i have comed across a fairly difficult question in chemisty that's been baffling me.

A 51.1 mL of 0.153M NaOH was mixed with 27.5mL of 0.0147M H2SO4. What is the pH of the resulting solution.

What I want to ask is shouldn't the resulting solution, water, be neutral with pH of 7 since this reaction is a neutralization, and if not how do i find the pH?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes this reaction is a neutralization, but only if you had the exact same amount of NaOH and H2SO4 would the solution have a neutral pH. You need to find out what is in excess and how many moles of it will be left over after the reaction takes place. From there, take the pH.

then do i need to find the excess in OH- ions or the excess of NaOH? Also after I've found the pH do i add the pH of 7 from water to it as well since that number alone is under 7 which shouldn't happen because its the base that's in excess.

Last edited:
well find the excess moles NaOH, that will tell you how many moles OH- you have and find the pH from there

but i got a pH of around 2, but isn't acids the ones that are below pH of 7?

Cesium said:
Yes this reaction is a neutralization, but only if you had the exact same amount of NaOH and H2SO4 would the solution have a neutral pH.

That's not true because 1 mole of H2S04 reacts with 2 moles of NaOH.

So can anyone tell me if the pH is around 2?

PhysicBeginner said:
So can anyone tell me if the pH is around 2?

No, it is not around 2.
Can you post and show how exactly you calculated the pH? That is, can you show how many moles of NaOH and H2SO4 were consumed and how many moles were excess?

Last edited:
Correct pH is about 13 (not exactly 13!). I suppose you have mistaken pH with pOH and you forgot about final volume being sum of volumes.

Look at the problem again, note that you are starting with a VERY basic solution. To see this, calculate the pH of your NaOH solution *before* you added any sulfuric acid to it. You should get a starting pOH of less than 1 and a starting pH of approximately 13.2 for your .153M OH^- solution. Try this. If you can't do this calculation then stop and look into how to calculate pH from pOH and vice versa because that might be where the problem is.

The next step is to see what the pOH is after you have added the acid to it following the advice others gave you above (especially note that 1M Sulfuric Acid neutralizes *2*M OH^-). If I did the calculation right, you should get a final concentration of .089M OH^- (note that adding the acid nuetralized some of the OH molecules so that you now have a solution with a lower concentration of OH ions). You can then solve for the pOH and from there find the pH. I have a pH for this at around 12.9 (which indicates that the solution is still basic, but less basic than before the sulfuric acid was added to it).

What is the pH of NaOH & H2SO4 Mixture?

The pH of a mixture of NaOH and H2SO4 can vary depending on the concentrations of each compound. However, the pH of a 1:1 molar ratio mixture of NaOH and H2SO4 is approximately 7, making it neutral on the pH scale.

How does the molar ratio of NaOH to H2SO4 affect the pH of the mixture?

The molar ratio of NaOH to H2SO4 plays a significant role in determining the pH of the mixture. As the molar ratio increases from 1:1, the pH of the mixture becomes more basic, and as it decreases, the pH becomes more acidic.

Can the pH of the NaOH & H2SO4 mixture change over time?

Yes, the pH of the mixture can change over time due to the reaction between NaOH and H2SO4. As these compounds react, they form new compounds that can alter the pH of the mixture.

How can the pH of the NaOH & H2SO4 mixture be measured?

The pH of the mixture can be measured using a pH meter or pH strips. These tools can accurately measure the concentration of hydrogen ions in the mixture, which determines the pH.

What is the significance of knowing the pH of the NaOH & H2SO4 mixture?

Knowing the pH of the mixture is essential for understanding the properties and behavior of the solution. It can also help in determining the appropriate uses and applications of the mixture in various scientific experiments and processes.