Solving a pH 10.7 Aqueous 0.250M NaOH & 5.00 L

In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation of a 5.00 L aqueous solution with a pH of 10.70 using a supply of 0.250 M NaOH. Two methods are attempted, but the solution is not reached due to a flip in the equation. The correct approach is to use antilog (-3.3) to find the concentration of NaOH, and then use the M1V1 = M2V2 equation to calculate the volume needed for the desired solution. The density of solid NaOH is mistakenly used instead of the density of the solution, resulting in an incorrect calculation.
ally1h

Homework Statement

How would you prepare 5.00 L if an aqueous solution having a pH = 10.70, if you had a supply of 0.250 M NaOH?

Homework Equations

I don't even know anymore...

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a million different ways but I never come up with the answer provided in the book, which is 10 mL.

Here are two ways I've tried:
pH = 10.7; so pOH = 14.0-10.7 = 3.3
antilog (-3.3) = 5.0x10^-4 M

m1v1 = m2v2
v2 = m1v1 / m2 = (0.250 M x 5000 mL) / (5.0x10^-4) = 2500000 mL
That's DEFINITELY not right...

Second attempt:
5000 mL has x moles NaOH
5.0x10^-4 M / 5 L = 1x10^-4 moles NaOH
1x10^-4 mol NaOH x (40.0 g/mol) = 0.004 g NaOH
density of NaOH = 2.13 g/mL; so 0.004 g / 2.13 g/mL = 0.0018 mL
And that's not right either...

I'm missing SOMETHING and I've been working on this problem forever. Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah... you know what, never mind. I flipped the equation for M1V1 = M2V2 incorrectly. I've got the right answer now.

Sorry for wasting space!

ally1h said:
antilog (-3.3) = 5.0x10^-4 M

OK

m1v1 = m2v2
v2 = m1v1 / m2 = (0.250 M x 5000 mL) / (5.0x10^-4) = 2500000 mL
That's DEFINITELY not right...

Good, approach, but lousy realisation. Write which solution - volume & concentration - is 1, and which is 2.

density of NaOH = 2.13 g/mL; so 0.004 g / 2.13 g/mL = 0.0018 mL
And that's not right either...

That's completely off - 2.13 is a denstisty of solid NaOH, not solution.

Edit: my uplink went down for 10 minutes so you have answered your own question before I was able to post.

What does pH 10.7 mean?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. A pH of 10.7 indicates that the solution is basic, or alkaline, with a high concentration of hydroxide ions.

Why is it important to know the concentration of NaOH?

The concentration of NaOH is important because it affects the strength and reactivity of the solution. In this case, a concentration of 0.250M means that there is a high amount of NaOH particles present, which can have significant effects on the pH.

How do I solve for the number of moles of NaOH?

To solve for the number of moles of NaOH, you can use the formula n = M x V, where n is the number of moles, M is the molarity, and V is the volume in liters. In this case, n = (0.250 mol/L) x (5.00 L) = 1.25 moles of NaOH.

How can I calculate the pH of the solution?

To calculate the pH, you can use the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. In this case, since the solution is basic, the concentration of hydrogen ions is very low and can be considered negligible. Therefore, the pH will be close to 14, which is the maximum value on the pH scale for basic solutions.

What are some potential safety precautions when working with a pH 10.7 NaOH solution?

When working with a basic solution like NaOH, it is important to wear protective equipment such as gloves and goggles to avoid contact with the skin or eyes. The solution can also be corrosive, so it is important to handle it with care and avoid inhaling any fumes. It is also important to properly dispose of the solution after use to avoid any environmental harm.