Phantastic Photons: Rate of Light Emission & Laser Images

• Thread starter Wonderballs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the rate at which photons are released from a light source determines the intensity of the light. The idea of attaching a laser pointer to a rotating cylinder and rotating it at the speed of light is impossible and has no meaning. However, it is possible to rotate the cylinder in a way that the spot on the wall moves faster than the speed of light.
Wonderballs
Are photons released from a lightsource at a particular rate? I am pondering this because i got the idea if a laser pointer were attached to a rotating cylinder and rotated at the speed of light (impossible I know) I wonder what the image the laser beam would produce on the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Rotated at the speed of light" doesn't have any meaning. If you really mean that it should be rotated so a spot on the wall moves faster than the speed of light, this is certainly possible.

Anyway, the rate at which photons are produced is what gives the light its intensity.

Thank you

1. What is the difference between the rate of light emission and laser images?

The rate of light emission refers to the speed at which photons are emitted from a light source, while laser images refer to the specific use of coherent light to create an image. In other words, the rate of light emission is a physical concept while laser images are a practical application of that concept.

2. How is the rate of light emission measured?

The rate of light emission is typically measured in units of photons per second. This can be done using specialized equipment such as a photometer or a spectrometer.

3. Can the rate of light emission be controlled?

Yes, the rate of light emission can be controlled by adjusting the intensity or wavelength of the light source. For example, by increasing the intensity of a light source, the rate of light emission will also increase.

4. What factors affect the rate of light emission?

The rate of light emission can be affected by a variety of factors including the type of light source, its intensity, the material it is passing through, and the temperature of the source. In addition, the properties of the material being illuminated, such as its reflectivity and transparency, can also impact the rate of light emission.

5. How are laser images created?

Laser images are created by using a laser beam to scan or project onto a surface. The laser beam is focused and directed using mirrors and lenses to create a precise and coherent image. This process is known as laser scanning or laser projection.