Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phantom of the Opera

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/6/music/20060106123252&sec=music

Do we have any Phantom fans here? Be they modern or classical, I'm not much of one for plays or operas, and I hated Cats, but I loved the Phantom. And did we get lucky on this one. Tsu and I saw the opening performance in Los Angeles with the original cast! One night while working late on my homework I took a break and saw a commercial at about 2 AM stating that extra tickets had come available for opening night, so, since our anniversary was coming up, I called and we got the last two seats in the house - fantastic seats, nearly center and only about twenty or thirty rows from the stage. It was a star studded event and you could feel the magic in the air. The perfomances and music were all consuming. It was a night that I will never forget.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I saw Phantom in Hamburg many years ago. It really was fantastic. I too am not a fan of Cats and most musicals. Although there are a few that I like. Phantom was definitely one of them. That reminds me that I should break out the soundtrack. I haven't listened to it in ages.

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I saw Phantom on Broadway while I was still living in Long Island. It was OK, but I didn't like it as much as the two of you. But then again, I didn't think Andrew Lloyd Webber has written anything substantial since Evita anyway. :)

The best drop-down, smack-in-your-face musical that I've seen is, without a doubt, The Producers with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. I dare anyone not to at least giggle during the show (try not laughing when you see the swastika armbands on the pigeons). And if you haven't seen Wicked, you should be spanked by me several times.

:)

Zz.

5. Jan 10, 2006 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've seen the Phantom. Had to go to London for it. Very bad price-quality ratio though. I expected much more. I do enjoy the music, but was better off with buying the CD.
    Les Miserables is a more favourite one of mine.

6. Jan 10, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Les Miserables is one that I hated to miss. I heard a lot of great things about that one.

And yes, I think our seats were about a hundred and fifty bucks a piece, and that was almost twenty years ago.

7. Jan 10, 2006 #6
    Ouch!

8. Jan 10, 2006 #7
    I like Phantom. I'll probably see it in Schenectady, NY next month.

9. Jan 10, 2006 #8
    I saw it at the Pantages theatre in Toronto, a great building built in the 1920's. The sets, and music were just about perfect, but the actors seemed a little tired.
    I'm still a fan of the old movie too.

10. Jan 10, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding, we were relatively poor back then... but nothing was too good for my little Tsu. o:)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  11. Jan 12, 2006 #10
    I've seen its preformance at her majesty's theatre, london. I was extremely impressed with the storyline and the choral music. (However, i still prefer les miserable)

Then i saw the movie. What a way to ruin a good musical.

12. Jan 12, 2006 #11

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Me too. I thought I had good seats, considering the price I paid. Turned out I was way high up somewhere and had to look sharply down to see the stage. You couldn't see the front end where the orchestra was and I had trouble looking past all the heads in front of me. I almost bought those silly binoculars.
    It was hot and there was no airco. If you were claustrofobic, you'd die. I must say I hated the experience.

The musical is still good though.

13. Jan 12, 2006 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The producers is great!!! I saw the original movie, the musical, I have yet to see the new movie though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?