Phantom of the Opera: Broadway's Longest Running Show

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, "Phantom of the Opera" will be the longest running show on Broadway as of January 9th, surpassing another Andrew Lloyd Webber production, "Cats." Despite mixed reviews, the musical has been a commercial success and holds a special place in the hearts of many fans. Other popular musicals mentioned in the conversation include "Les Miserables," "The Producers," and "Wicked."
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Phantom of the Opera to become Broadway's longest running show

TheNEW YORK: No job in the theater lasts forever. At "The Phantom of the Opera,'' it only seems that way.

On Monday, Jan. 9, the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical - with performance number 7,486 - becomes the longest running show in Broadway history, surpassing another of the British composer's megahits, "Cats.''

And while statistics can be trotted out extolling the longevity and profitability of the production, it's the people, both on-stage and behind the scenes, who make the musical work at each performance.[continued]
http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/6/music/20060106123252&sec=music

Do we have any Phantom fans here? Be they modern or classical, I'm not much of one for plays or operas, and I hated Cats, but I loved the Phantom. And did we get lucky on this one. Tsu and I saw the opening performance in Los Angeles with the original cast! One night while working late on my homework I took a break and saw a commercial at about 2 AM stating that extra tickets had come available for opening night, so, since our anniversary was coming up, I called and we got the last two seats in the house - fantastic seats, nearly center and only about twenty or thirty rows from the stage. It was a star studded event and you could feel the magic in the air. The performances and music were all consuming. It was a night that I will never forget.

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw Phantom in Hamburg many years ago. It really was fantastic. I too am not a fan of Cats and most musicals. Although there are a few that I like. Phantom was definitely one of them. That reminds me that I should break out the soundtrack. I haven't listened to it in ages.

I saw Phantom on Broadway while I was still living in Long Island. It was OK, but I didn't like it as much as the two of you. But then again, I didn't think Andrew Lloyd Webber has written anything substantial since Evita anyway. :)

The best drop-down, smack-in-your-face musical that I've seen is, without a doubt, The Producers with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. I dare anyone not to at least giggle during the show (try not laughing when you see the swastika armbands on the pigeons). And if you haven't seen Wicked, you should be spanked by me several times.

:)

Zz.

I've seen the Phantom. Had to go to London for it. Very bad price-quality ratio though. I expected much more. I do enjoy the music, but was better off with buying the CD.
Les Miserables is a more favourite one of mine.

Galileo said:
I've seen the Phantom. Had to go to London for it. Very bad price-quality ratio though. I expected much more. I do enjoy the music, but was better off with buying the CD.
Les Miserables is a more favourite one of mine.

Les Miserables is one that I hated to miss. I heard a lot of great things about that one.

And yes, I think our seats were about a hundred and fifty bucks a piece, and that was almost twenty years ago.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think our seats were about a hundred and fifty bucks a piece, and that was almost twenty years ago.
Ouch!

I like Phantom. I'll probably see it in Schenectady, NY next month.

I saw it at the Pantages theatre in Toronto, a great building built in the 1920's. The sets, and music were just about perfect, but the actors seemed a little tired.
I'm still a fan of the old movie too.

zoobyshoe said:
Ouch!
No kidding, we were relatively poor back then... but nothing was too good for my little Tsu. o:)

Last edited:
I've seen its preformance at her majesty's theatre, london. I was extremely impressed with the storyline and the choral music. (However, i still prefer les miserable)

Then i saw the movie. What a way to ruin a good musical.

Bladibla said:
I've seen its preformance at her majesty's theatre, london.

Me too. I thought I had good seats, considering the price I paid. Turned out I was way high up somewhere and had to look sharply down to see the stage. You couldn't see the front end where the orchestra was and I had trouble looking past all the heads in front of me. I almost bought those silly binoculars.
It was hot and there was no airco. If you were claustrofobic, you'd die. I must say I hated the experience.

The musical is still good though.

ZapperZ said:
I saw Phantom on Broadway while I was still living in Long Island. It was OK, but I didn't like it as much as the two of you. But then again, I didn't think Andrew Lloyd Webber has written anything substantial since Evita anyway. :)

The best drop-down, smack-in-your-face musical that I've seen is, without a doubt, The Producers with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. I dare anyone not to at least giggle during the show (try not laughing when you see the swastika armbands on the pigeons). And if you haven't seen Wicked, you should be spanked by me several times.

:)

Zz.

The producers is great! I saw the original movie, the musical, I have yet to see the new movie though.

1. What is "Phantom of the Opera" about?

"Phantom of the Opera" is a musical that tells the story of a disfigured musical genius, known as the Phantom, who becomes obsessed with a young soprano, Christine Daaé. The story follows their tumultuous relationship as the Phantom manipulates and terrorizes the Paris Opera House in order to make Christine a star.

2. When did "Phantom of the Opera" first open on Broadway?

"Phantom of the Opera" first opened on Broadway on January 26, 1988 at the Majestic Theatre. It has been running continuously since then, making it the longest-running show in Broadway history.

3. Who wrote the music for "Phantom of the Opera"?

The music for "Phantom of the Opera" was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, with lyrics by Charles Hart and additional lyrics by Richard Stilgoe. The musical is based on the novel of the same name by Gaston Leroux.

4. How many performances of "Phantom of the Opera" have there been on Broadway?

As of 2020, there have been over 13,500 performances of "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. It has been seen by over 18 million people and has grossed over $1 billion in ticket sales.

5. Is "Phantom of the Opera" suitable for children?

While "Phantom of the Opera" is a beloved musical, it may not be suitable for young children. The show contains scenes of violence and some scary moments. It is recommended for children over the age of 10.

Back