Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phantom Power

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    Im have to give a presentation on microphones soon, and most of the material Im pretty good with, with the exception of Phantom Power. I could work around it if I had to, but it would be better if I understood it. Could someone help out?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide a pointer or intro to what Phantom Power is in the context of microphones?

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phantom powered microphones use the same wires for power (DC, usually +48V) and the signal going back to the microphone amplifier; this is possible because the signal is AC (from about 20 Hz and upwards) meaning you can quite easily "filter out" the DC-current.

It is basically just a clever way of reducing the number of wires+you can use standard XLR connectors/cables.

edit: Note that this is only relevant for condenser microphones, dynamic microphones do not need to be powered.

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4
  6. Aug 27, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ah, thanks for the clarification. This is called "Link Power" or "Power over Ethernet" in the data networks that I work with. Now I know what it's called in the audio world.

7. Aug 30, 2008 #6
    Thank you! I'd already looked at the wikipedia article when I asked this question, but it didnt make much sense to me. The simplest things can sound so complicated sometimes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook