Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phantom Power

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    Im have to give a presentation on microphones soon, and most of the material Im pretty good with, with the exception of Phantom Power. I could work around it if I had to, but it would be better if I understood it. Could someone help out?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Can you provide a pointer or intro to what Phantom Power is in the context of microphones?

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phantom powered microphones use the same wires for power (DC, usually +48V) and the signal going back to the microphone amplifier; this is possible because the signal is AC (from about 20 Hz and upwards) meaning you can quite easily "filter out" the DC-current.

It is basically just a clever way of reducing the number of wires+you can use standard XLR connectors/cables.

edit: Note that this is only relevant for condenser microphones, dynamic microphones do not need to be powered.

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4
  6. Aug 27, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ah, thanks for the clarification. This is called "Link Power" or "Power over Ethernet" in the data networks that I work with. Now I know what it's called in the audio world.

7. Aug 30, 2008 #6
    Thank you! I'd already looked at the wikipedia article when I asked this question, but it didnt make much sense to me. The simplest things can sound so complicated sometimes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?