How do different types of nasal sprays work?

• Thread starter mycotheology
  • Start date
In summary: Pseudoephedrine will make you act hyper and increase heart rate. Xylomethazoline will drowsy and increase blood pressure.
mycotheology
This thread is about nasal sprays, not tablets. I'm always having problems with nasal infections so I want to learn the pharmacology behind the sprays. Firstly, there are 3 types of problems I have with the nose. Congestion (by far the worst), runny nose and itchiness. I'll list the ones I know of, can you inform me about exactly how they work.

Saline sprays:
I know that salt kills bacteria so they should help sterilize the nose. They do absolutely nothing for me. They don't remedy congestion, runny nose or itchiness. I don't understand how they are supposed to decongest the nose either.

Steroid sprays:
These don't decongest my nose at all either. I know steroids are antiinflammatories but what else do they do? Do they stop itchiness? My nose was itching like mad so I decided to try the steroid spray (had been lying in my drawer since I thought it was useless) and its not itching anymore. Seems to have worked. I thought only antihistamines could prevent itching.

What about runny nose? Do steroid sprays lower mucus production?

Xylomethazoline sprays:
As a nasal decongestant, this works amazingly well for me. I know how this one works, its an adrenaline agonist and thus, causes the blood vessels in the nose to constrict. It also causes rebound congestion though so its not an ideal decongestant. I believe pseudoephedrine can also be used locally in the same way. These sprays don't remedy the itchiness or runny nose at all though.

Heres some ones I just read about but have never tried:
Antihistamine sprays:
I want one of these because if I use xylomethazoline to decongest my nasal passages, then the itchiness comes back with a vengeance and I start sneezing like mad. Do antihistamines also help decongest the nasal passages? What about mucus production? Will these remedy a runny nose?

Anticholinergic sprays:
I have no idea how these might work. I here:
http://allergies.about.com/od/noseandsinusallergies/a/nasalsprays.htm
that they dry up nasal secretions so it sounds like these are the sprays to use if your problem is a chronic runny nose. Is that their sole purpose then, to prevent mucus production?

Biology news on Phys.org
you are pretty on all accounts with the drugs. Steroids will suppress the immune system. saline spray, i don't think they ever worked for me either, don't think there is any reason behind it's mechanism. If you had an infection in the nose washing it won't kill it completely.

1. How do nasal sprays work?

Nasal sprays work by delivering medication directly into the nasal passages. The medication is in the form of a fine mist or spray, which is absorbed through the nasal tissues and into the bloodstream. This allows for quick and efficient delivery of the medication to the affected area.

2. What types of medications are commonly used in nasal sprays?

The most commonly used medications in nasal sprays are decongestants, antihistamines, and corticosteroids. Decongestants work by shrinking the blood vessels in the nasal passages, reducing swelling and congestion. Antihistamines block the effects of histamine, a chemical released during an allergic reaction. Corticosteroids reduce inflammation in the nasal passages.

3. Are there any side effects associated with using nasal sprays?

Like any medication, nasal sprays can have side effects. The most common side effects include a burning or stinging sensation in the nose, dryness, and irritation. In rare cases, nasal sprays can cause nosebleeds, headaches, and increased blood pressure. It is important to follow the recommended dosage and consult a doctor if you experience any severe side effects.

4. Can nasal sprays be used for long-term treatment?

Yes, some nasal sprays can be used for long-term treatment, such as those containing corticosteroids. These sprays can help manage chronic conditions like allergies or nasal polyps. However, it is important to follow the instructions and consult a doctor before using any nasal spray for an extended period of time.

5. Are nasal sprays safe to use with other medications?

In most cases, nasal sprays can be safely used with other medications. However, it is important to consult a doctor or pharmacist before using nasal sprays with other medications, especially if you are taking multiple nasal sprays or have any underlying health conditions.