1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pharmacophore and polarity of aspirin and ibuprofen?

1. Apr 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to know the pharmacophore of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and ibuprofen. There is a task where I have to compare these two drugs' structure, synthesis, mechanism of action and side effects.
    Specifically, it says to include,
    • "The chemical structure of the drug including the pharmacophore (group of atoms which confers the pharmacological activity)"

2. Relevant equations
    I would also like to know about the polarity of the aspirin molecule, and the ibuprofen molecule.
    Information regarding these topics would be greatly appreciated :)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've read that the acetyl group in aspirin attached to the serine active site in the body to irreversibly inhibit COX 1 and 2. I know that the functional groups in aspirin are a benzene ring, carboxylic acid group and an ester group, but I'm not too sure how this relates to the pharmacophore.
    I haven't been able to find the pharmacophore of aspirin and ibuprofen with research.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted