1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase angle questions.

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    Well this isnt a h/w problem, rather its one I have myself.

I have two speakers, speaker one sits in its enclouser horizontal. Speaker 2 sits 58 Degrees out of phase with speaker one. ( See Drawing #1).

If I could somehow change the phase angle, would that change the imaging of the speaker as to where it would sound as if they were set up in Drawing #2?
    Also is there a way to do this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what is meant by phase angle - normally that would apply to timing between two sources/waves.

But simply draw a straight line between the speakers in Drawing 1 and then determine the intensity at any point in the field. Then rotate the line between speakers in drawing 1 parallel with the line in drawing 2 and this represents the same geometry, with perhaps a different distance between speakers.

The distance between the speakers, the wave length (or frequency) of the sound the distance to the location of reception determine the intensity.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?