1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Angles, RC circuit

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the phase angle between the input and output voltages in the following two circuits - in each case state whether the output leads or lags the input voltage.

14twly1.jpg

The second circuit is the same but the capacitor and the resistor are switched around.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not really sure, this is why I'm here, I don't know how to use the information I have to get the answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have:

Zr = 1000Ω∠0
    Zc = 795.77Ω∠-90
    Zt = 1278Ω ∠-38.51
    It = 19.562 mA ∠ 38.51
    Vr = 19.56v ∠38.51
    Vc = 15.57v ∠-51.49

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi nhenzie, Welcome to Physics Forums.

You've calculated a phase angle in association with Vr. How do you interpret that?

4. Nov 21, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I've been an avid browser of this forum for help with homework, it's been a great resource so far.

I guess I would say that Vr leads the input voltage by 38.51 degrees, and in the 2nd circuit the output voltage lags the input voltage by 51.48...I'm thinking I just answered the question myself....thanks for the guidance, I should probably think things over a bit more before posting....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook