1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Boundary between mono and diatomic gases

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a gas (note: treat as ideal) that has phase coexistence between diatomic and monatomic forms at ##T_0## and ##P_0##. Compute the equation for the P,T phase boundary between monatomic and diatomic gases.

2. Relevant equations

## u_v (V,T) = \frac{5}{2} RT - \frac{a}{v} - u_b ##

## u_i (V,T) = \frac{5}{2} RT - u_b ##

Where ##u_b ## is the energy holding atoms together in a diatomic gas.
    And ## u_i ## and ## u_v ## are the molar energies of ideal and van der waals diatomic gases respectively.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm assuming that the equation for the phase boundary has something to do with computing ##\frac{dP}{dT}##. So the first thing that springs to mind is the Clausius Clapeyron, however, how to relate that to the equations given for the internal energies I'm not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted