1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Change at reflection:

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part of a longer question, what is the phase change, if any for a system of three substances of different n where there is surface reflection between n1 and n_f which is meant to constructively interfere with another surface reflection between n_f and n3.where n1 < n_f > n3 with n3 > n1?

2. Relevant equations

None, the text book I am using only says that when n1 = n3 there will be a pi phase change and there will be none if n1>n_f>n3 or n1<n_f<n3.

3. The attempt at a solution

None, other than an intelligent guess it will be some sort of function with 0 < f(n_f) < pi.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    Anyone? This is part of a much larger project and I can well assume that it is indeed pi, the point is that I don't want to make too many undue assumptions.

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    When a light reflects on a material with higher refractive index it undergoes a phase change of pi in the other case the phase does not change, in your case there will be a pi change on n1, nf and no change at nf ,n3 so the phase change must be pi otherwise the interference would be destructive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?