1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Changing substance: please help me out

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    I am a student trying to find a substance whose state I can control using either UV light or electicity. Preferrably, it would be solid at room temperature, but exposure to some sort of stimulus would cause it to change into a "semisolid" or liquid with high viscosity. As I am not knowledgeable in chemistry, there's no way I can find this on my own. If you know of such a substance (preferrably one that can be handled safely), please let me know.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2
    I may be wrong but for pure substances temperature and pressure are the only variables that affect their state.

The only somewhat related idea I can think of is to heat an ionic compound to its melting point and then use a strong electrical current to maintain its molten state.

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The reverse effect (liquid to solid transformation) can typically be achieved in an ER (electro-rheological) Fluid. Google it and see if that will work for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?