Finding the Phase Constant of a Sinusoidal Velocity Graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding the phase constant for a velocity vs. time graph with a sinusoidal shape and specific values for amplitude, period, and initial velocity. The participants discuss formulas for finding the phase constant and determining the correct angle from a sine value, ultimately coming to the conclusion that the correct value for the phase constant is 1.27 radians.
bcjochim07
Phase constant --Please help me!

Homework Statement

What is the phase constant?

aharmonic.jpg

The picture didn't come yet but here's a description:
It is a velocity vs. time graph. It is sinusoidal with a period of 12 s and a max velocity of 60 cm/s. The inital value for velocity at t=0 is -30 cm/s and the value for velocity at t=12 is -30 cm/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found A vmax= 2pi*A/T
60= 2pi*A/12 A=114.6

ok so I tried vo= -omega*A sin(phase constant)
omega= 2pi/T 2 pi/ 12 = pi/6
-30 cm/s = -(pi/6)*114.6 sin(phase constant)

I found phase constant = .5235 rad, but that's not right

I know that there is another angle that has the sine value, but how do I know which one is the phase constant

Physics news on Phys.org
I am really having trouble with the phase constant

Could someone help me out?

Your amplitude, A, corresponds to the maximum velocity, which in this case is 60cm/s. Your period is 12s, so by using T = 2*pi/w, in which w is angular frequency, you could find the value for w. Since you know the amplitude and angular frequency, and you know that the general form for the velocity is v = -A*sin(wt + phase constant), all you have to do is plug in numbers. At t = 0, v = -30cm/s, and since you already know the amplitude and angular frequency, you could solve for the phase constant.

Right, I think that's what I did up above, but I got the answer wrong according to mastering physics. I've checked it several times, and I don't know why it's wrong.

-30 cm/s = -(pi/6)*114.6 sin(phase constant)
.49996= sin(phaseconstant)
arc sin (.49996) = .52355 rad or 2.618 rad I don't know which one is right because at both position the particle would be moving to the left ( have a negative velocity initially like in the graph) This is what is confusing me.

The amplitude is 60 cm/s.

oh, so for the velocity formula, you have to have A in cm/s...ok I see

so .955=sin(phase constant)

phase constant = 1.27 rad ?

v=60*sin(wt+phase). At t=0, v=-30. Put that in. -30=60*sin(phase). sin(phase)=(-1/2). Isn't that what you want?

My book says the formula is v= -omega* Asin(omega * t + phaseconstant)

Your book's formula is using the amplitude of the displacement. For this question we are using the amplitude of the quantity in the graph you showed us. That would be the velocity amplitude, 60 cm/s.

Displacement, velocity, and acceleration each have their own amplitude. We need to be clear on which one we are using.

so if I used that formula in my book, then shouldn't I come up with right answer as long as I use the amplitude from vmax=omega*A, where A is in cm. I chose to use the amplitude for displacement, so shouldn't that yield the same answer? I'm really confused about this.

Yes, you are confused. If the amplitude for displacement is A, then yes, the amplitude for velocity is omega*A. But omega*A=60 from your graph. Since it's a graph of velocity. So A=60/omega. Hence the amplitude for velocity is omega*A which is omega*(60/omega). Which is 60. Which is where we started. This is making my head hurt. Can you make it stop?

I'm sorry...
Ok, so I was doing exactly what you are telling me aways up above until I got confused about the amplitude.

I wrote: .49996= sin(phaseconstant)

but the problem I was having was what value of the angle is the phase constant since arcsin .49996 gives two angles, both of which would be moving left like indicated in the graph.

Ok, but shouldn't sin(phase) be -0.5, not +0.5? And yes, there are two really different values modulo 2pi. But only one increases the velocity as t increases from 0. Look at your diagram. There are two different points where the velocity is -30. But only one fits your diagram.

Last edited:

What is the phase constant?

The phase constant, also known as the phase shift, is a measure of the displacement between two periodic waveforms. It represents the amount by which one waveform is shifted relative to another in terms of time or angle.

How is the phase constant calculated?

The phase constant is typically calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. The specific calculation depends on the type of wave and the specific phase relationship between the two waveforms.

What is the significance of the phase constant in wave analysis?

The phase constant is an important parameter in wave analysis as it provides information about the relative timing or alignment of two waves. It is often used to determine the phase difference between waves and can also be used to analyze the stability and coherence of wave patterns.

How does the phase constant affect the behavior of waves?

The phase constant can affect the behavior of waves in a variety of ways. For example, in interference phenomena, the phase constant determines whether waves will constructively or destructively interfere with each other. It can also affect the amplitude and frequency of waves in certain situations.

Can the phase constant change over time?

Yes, the phase constant can change over time. This can occur due to various factors such as changes in the medium through which the wave is propagating, or interactions with other waves. Additionally, certain systems may have a variable phase constant as a function of frequency.