How can L1 and L2 be placed out of phase in a rotary phase converter?

In summary: L1 and L2 are placed out of phase from each other. The responder clarifies that L1 and L2 are already out of phase and explains how it is a relative concept. They also offer to discuss further privately. In summary, the responder explains that L1 and L2 are already out of phase and shares further details about how phase is a relative concept. They also offer to discuss more in private.
rob4586
All,

I am trying to get my head round a rotary phase converter. Obviously a third voltage is induced in L3 of the motor if L2 to and L1 are connected to the single phase. However, how are L1 and L2 placed out of phase from each other or don't they have to be?

Hope that makes sense,
Thanks,
Rob

Engineering news on Phys.org
L1 and L2 are already out of phase with each other. They have to be otherwise there would not be a voltage between them. Phase is a relative thing. For instance, 230 volt delta systems that have a center tap on one tranformer will have leg A and B appear to be 180 degrees out of phase relative to the center tap, and that is actually the case. Keep in mind that a 'phase' is a pair of wires, and not a 'leg' which is just one wire. Big difference. Don't feel bad about it being hard to wrap your head around. PM me, I have a few other things but won't post them on the public forum.

Averagesupernova said:
L1 and L2 are already out of phase with each other. They have to be otherwise there would not be a voltage between them. Phase is a relative thing. For instance, 230 volt delta systems that have a center tap on one tranformer will have leg A and B appear to be 180 degrees out of phase relative to the center tap, and that is actually the case. Keep in mind that a 'phase' is a pair of wires, and not a 'leg' which is just one wire. Big difference. Don't feel bad about it being hard to wrap your head around. PM me, I have a few other things but won't post them on the public forum.

Thanks Buddy, PM inbound :)

Rob

1. What is a phase converter and how does it work?

A phase converter is a device used to convert single-phase power to three-phase power. It works by generating a third leg of power that is out of phase with the existing two legs, creating a balanced three-phase output.

2. What are the different types of phase converters?

There are three main types of phase converters: static, rotary, and digital. Static converters use capacitors to create a third leg of power. Rotary converters use an electric motor to generate the third leg. Digital converters use advanced control systems to convert single-phase power to three-phase power.

3. What are the benefits of using a phase converter?

Using a phase converter can provide several benefits, including cost savings, increased efficiency, and improved power quality. It can also allow for the use of three-phase equipment without the need for expensive upgrades to the power supply.

4. How do I choose the right phase converter for my needs?

The type and size of phase converter needed will depend on the specific application and power requirements. It is important to consider factors such as the type of equipment being powered, the voltage and current requirements, and the available power source. Consulting with a professional or referring to manufacturer specifications can help determine the appropriate phase converter for your needs.

5. What are some common maintenance and troubleshooting tips for phase converters?

Regular maintenance, such as cleaning and checking for loose connections, can help ensure the proper functioning of a phase converter. If experiencing issues, troubleshooting steps may include checking power supply and connections, inspecting the converter for any damage, and consulting with a professional for further assistance.