1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase Difference - 3D

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wave at the origin expands outwards passing the points (.01, .03, .02) and (-.01, .015, .025). This wave has a wave speed, V_w = 346 m/s and frequency = 13100 HZ.

What is the phase difference between these two points?

2. Relevant equations

v = (wavelength)(frequency)

Phase Difference = 2pi (delta x) / Wave length

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use the following:

[(distance between points using 3D formula)/(wave length)] * 2pi = phase difference.

This was in correct. I am gonna guess that it's because "Phase Difference = 2pi (delta x) / Wave length" is for a wave in one dimension. My question is how does the phase difference change in 3 dimensions? I attempted to use the surface area of a sphere but it also failed. Something is quite wrong.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

Use the distance from the origin... the delta you need is the difference of the second point from the origin - the distance of the first point from the origin.
  4. Oct 12, 2007 #3
    Wonderful thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?