Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Phase difference and lag time

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I came across this question on waves which tells you how to calculate the phase difference and the lag time but I don' uderstand why it is 60 degrees.Although I'm notable to draw th diagram,I will write down the explination

What is the phase relationship b/w the two signals?(y1 and y2)

The difference between the squares of the signals on the graphs is 4 and one wavelenght of y2 is 20 squares.
    So it says that the lag is 1/5 of a cycle of 360 degrees which is 60 degrees.

I understand where the 1/5th came from but how is it 60 and not 72 which is what you get after you divide 5 by 360? I thought the answer was wrong but similar questions have answers mismatched with mine as well.

So please help! I've got my exam tomorrow!

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    According to your description, I can't find any flaws in your solution. Especially if it says "the lag is 1/5 of a cycle of 360 degrees which is 60 degrees", there is probably a small math error. I can't be sure without the diagram though.

Can you try to post a picture?

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    I tried posting the picture up but it was unsuccessful. I've pretty much described it in the question though.
    I don't understand,how is 60 1/5 of 360? isn't it 1/6th ? Why is it saying 1/5th ? =S

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    They probably just made a small mistake. Try some other examples and the concepts will become clearer. Don't get hung up on the same problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook