1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference and lag time

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I came across this question on waves which tells you how to calculate the phase difference and the lag time but I don' uderstand why it is 60 degrees.Although I'm notable to draw th diagram,I will write down the explination

What is the phase relationship b/w the two signals?(y1 and y2)

The difference between the squares of the signals on the graphs is 4 and one wavelenght of y2 is 20 squares.
    So it says that the lag is 1/5 of a cycle of 360 degrees which is 60 degrees.

I understand where the 1/5th came from but how is it 60 and not 72 which is what you get after you divide 5 by 360? I thought the answer was wrong but similar questions have answers mismatched with mine as well.

So please help! I've got my exam tomorrow!

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2
    According to your description, I can't find any flaws in your solution. Especially if it says "the lag is 1/5 of a cycle of 360 degrees which is 60 degrees", there is probably a small math error. I can't be sure without the diagram though.

Can you try to post a picture?

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    I tried posting the picture up but it was unsuccessful. I've pretty much described it in the question though.
    I don't understand,how is 60 1/5 of 360? isn't it 1/6th ? Why is it saying 1/5th ? =S

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    They probably just made a small mistake. Try some other examples and the concepts will become clearer. Don't get hung up on the same problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook