1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase difference question

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two Loud speakers are placed on a wall 3.79 meters apart. A listener stands directly in front of one of the speakers, 65.6 meters from the wall. The speakers are being driven by the same electric signal generated by a harmonic oscillator of frequency 4010 Hz The speed of sound in Air is 343 m/s. What is the phase difference [tex]\Delta\Phi[/tex] between the two waves? (answer in radians)

2. Relevant equations
    y = A sin (kx (+/-) [tex]\omega[/tex]t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the wavelength and using trig to find the distance between the observer and speakers...but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the problem, and I haven't gotten an answer out of this yet...I'm lost. The only thing I know is superposition, but I know that if you just add sin to sin, you don't just get sin, and I don't know how to derive that to see how that works....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Sure it does. The difference in distance is going to determine what lag there is between the 4010 hz sound waves.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?